UP to launch soil testing project MondayMay 5th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 5 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government will launch a project Monday for testing the health of the soil across the state, an agriculture department official said here Saturday.
The “Apni Mitti Pehchano” (Know your soil)”, would be set rolling from May 7 and would continue in four phases - May 7, 12, 21 and 28 - under which around 26.13 lakh soil samples would be taken from the fields of the state.
Following this, thousands of farmers would be provided with soil health certificates by the state government, the official told IANS.
Agriculture Production Commissioner (APC) Alok Ranjan said the aim of the drive was to identify and inform the farmers what type of soil do they have and to “fine tune” their pre-cultivation process accordingly.
“Once the health of the soil is analysed by scientists, the farmers will be suggested which specific crop they could cultivate, the quantity and type of fertilisers they could use and also how to replenish the soil,” Ranjan added.
The APC said all district magistrates have been asked to review the preparedness for the project.
As part of the project, the state agriculture department would also plan the distribution of Urea and fertilisers on the fourth day of every month so as to enable farmers to make advance preparations for their crops.
Deputy agriculture directors, district agriculture officers have also been asked to focus on the project and put in efforts to make it successful.
- Fertiliser makers want government to raise urea price - Sep 20, 2012
- Farmers protest shortage of urea in Bihar - Sep 13, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- 'Monsoon to hit Karnataka in June first week' - May 21, 2012
- Ensure urea for farmers, orders Sukhbir Badal - Jan 04, 2011
- Climate change to affect small farmers: ActionAid - Feb 28, 2012
- Tata Chemicals to set up urea plant in Tripura - Sep 11, 2012
- Bihar's Srividhi campaign arouses interest in other states - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Madagascar' method retains the 'organic' prove Bilaspur farmers - Apr 20, 2011
- Seeking second Green Revolution, Bihar turns to organic farming - Jun 21, 2011
- Up for Sale: Agricultural land in Chhattisgarh - Mar 05, 2011
- Seeking second Green Revolution, Bihar turns to organic farming (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Buy land directly from farmers, says West Bengal's draft policy - Jun 15, 2011
- In Bihar, the woes are not of farmers alone - Sep 21, 2010
- Bihar farmer sets 'world record' in potato production - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: advance preparations, agriculture department, agriculture production, apc, deputy agriculture, district magistrates, fertilisers, fine tune, health certificates, lucknow, mitti, preparedness, ranjan, soil health, soil samples, soil testing, state agriculture, state government, urea, uttar pradesh government