Unitech gets spectrum space for telecom in West BengalJanuary 12th, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) Unitech Wireless, the telecom arm of real estate major Unitech Ltd., Monday said it has received 4.4 megahertz (MHz) of spectrum in the 1,800 MHz GSM band in the West Bengal telecom circle. With this, the company has been allotted initial spectrum in 21 service areas of India out of 22, a company statement said.
In October 2008, Unitech announced the selling of 60 percent stake in its telecom venture Unitech Wireless for Rs.61.20 billion ($1.23 billion) to Telenor.
“The company signed a binding agreement with Telenor on Oct 28 and are now completing all the formalities. Both the parties have made significant progress on the transaction,” the company said.
The Oslo-headquartered Telenor is a global provider of telecommunications, data and media communication services. Norway’s Ministry of Industry and Trade owns 54 percent of the company, which has operations in Europe and Asia.
- Curbs on Uninor sale: Court notice to Unitech - Aug 21, 2012
- Only fresh equity, not spectrum, sold by phone firms: Chidambaram - Jul 25, 2011
- Unitech allotted spectrum for three service areas - Dec 08, 2008
- Ahluwalia defends Swan, Unitech on stake sale after spectrum allocation - Jan 16, 2011
- Telenor writes down remaining Indian assets worth $680 mn - Apr 30, 2012
- Unitech allotted spectrum for four service areas - Dec 29, 2008
- Telecom shares plunge on 2G spectrum price hike move - Apr 24, 2012
- Telenor asks Sanjay Chandra to step down as Unitech Wireless chief - Apr 20, 2011
- Unitech, Idea Cellular receive spectrum (Lead) - Dec 08, 2008
- Was told telcos sold stake to finance roll-out: PM - Feb 16, 2011
- Call rates can rise 100 percent, warn telecom operators - May 03, 2012
- Raja drags PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Intro Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Unitech managing director being questioned - Feb 15, 2011
- Raja pulls PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Telecom cos may have to pay for excess spectrum - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: asia, binding agreement, communication services, formalities, global provider, India, media communication, New Delhi, norway, oslo, percent stake, real estate, service areas, spectrum space, telecom circle, telecom venture, telecommunications, telenor, unitech, west bengal