Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribersMarch 6th, 2012 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) The number of mobile phone subscribers in India rose to 903.73 million in January with Uninor alone signing 2.49 million new subscribers, official data showed Tuesday.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the wireless user base grew 1.11 percent with an addition of 9.88 million subscribers, from 893.84 million in December.
With this, the total number of telephone subscribers, including land line holders, touched 936.12 million, registering a growth of 1.04 percent.
Overall teledensity in India has reached 77.57 percent.
However, of the total 903.73 million wireless subscribers, only 659.97 million were active on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR).
VLR is a temporary database of subscribers who have roamed into the particular area, which it serves. Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The total number of subscribers of Uninor, whose 22 licences stand cancelled following a Supreme Court order covering 122 licenses, stood at 106.38 million.
The apex court has ordered cancellation of 122 telecom licences issued in 2008 affecting 7 firms. Uninor, a joint venture between Norway’s Telenor and India’s Unitech, would be the worst affected firm if asked to shut shop in India.
Idea Cellular added 1.75 million subscribers to take its subscriber count to over 108 million.
Bharti Airtel added 1.3 million customers, taking its subscriber base to 176.95 million while Reliance Communications added 949,271 users, increasing its subscriber count to 151.
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) added 874,756 subscribers to go up to 97.64 million users while Vodafone added 855,349 customers to take its user base to 148.6 million.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 0.90 percent from 13.30 million in December to 13.42 million in January. However, the wireline segment declined marginally from 32.69 million in December to 32.39 million in January.
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- India adds 8.44 mn GSM subscribers in January - Feb 24, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- Smaller operators add customers despite Supreme Court's order - Mar 22, 2012
- Actual tele-density is 41 not 66 percent: Study - May 03, 2011
Tags: apex court, bharti airtel, bsnl, idea cellular, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, mobile subscribers, peak visitor, sanchar nigam ltd, subscriber base, subscriber count, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telenor, telephone subscribers, unitech, visitor location, vlr, wireless subscribers