TRAI disconnects connections of telemarketing companies for pesky callsAugust 10th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has disconnected over 72,000 telephone connections of registered telemarketers and over 118,000 of unregistered telemarketing companies for breaching guidelines related to commercial calls and messages up to May 2011.
“TRAI monitors the compliance to regulations and take the action in case any violation is observed,” said Milind Deora, Minister of State for Communications and IT in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
“TRAI has issued regulations and direction from time to time to prevent unsolicited commercial communications,” he added.
The minister also said that while the number of telemarketers who have been charged with higher tariff of Rs.500 during the period under review has been over 87,000, those who have been charged with higher tariff of Rs.1,000 has been over 41,000.
On an average, approximately 47,454 complaints per month are being registered in this regard.
TRAI has issued regulations and direction from time to times to prevent pesky calls and messages.
Last year, the telecom watchdog announced a set of new measures to curb unsolicited commercial calls and messages, which were to be implemented from Jan 1. This was extended to March 1 and then to March 21.
The regulations include a fine ranging from Rs.25,000 to Rs.250,000 for the defaulting companies.
Unlike the previous regulation that asked customers to register their numbers in ‘do not call’ list, users can now choose from different categories like ‘fully blocked’ or ‘partially blocked’, under which a customer can receive communication for categories of his choice.
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011
- No more pesky calls, SMSs from Tuesday - Sep 26, 2011
- Over 130 mn subscribers opt for do not call registry - Sep 02, 2011
- 28,000 phones disconnected for making pesky calls - May 06, 2012
- TRAI to start registration of telemarketers from Jan 15 - Jan 14, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag for some more time - Feb 28, 2011
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
- TRAI to disconnect individual numbers making pesky calls, messages - Nov 04, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag customers for one more month - Jan 31, 2011
- Government disconnects 51,000 telephone connections - Aug 17, 2012
- Pesky calls to nag customers for one more month - Dec 28, 2010
- Government hangs up on telemarketers - Dec 01, 2010
- Schools, colleges not barred from sending bulk messages - Mar 08, 2011
- TRAI issues unsolicited commercial communications regulations - Dec 01, 2010
- Pesky SMSs again - via new routes - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: commercial communications, compliance, Lok Sabha, march 1, march 21, minister of state, monitors, New Delhi, regard, reply, rs 1, rs 250, rs 500, tariff, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telemarketers, telemarketing companies, telephone connections, watchdog