Toyota Hybrid Sedan Prius to launch India!August 5th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Toyota Motor Corporation planing to introduce Hybrid Sedan Prius in India as to solve the fuel prices and growing concerns over emissions.
Toyota Kirloskar Motor Ltd vice-chairman Vikram Kirloskar told reporters ;
“We are preparing to bring Prius into the Indian market though we have not set any timeline yet,”
“In the run-up, we have to develop skills to service it and make spare parts available across the country,” he added.
Prius is known as the most fuel-efficient midsize car in the US and have been sold in over 40 countries in 2008, and the hybrid variant has also been rated as the third least carbon dioxide emitting vehicle in Britain.
Prius as a “great car” but Kirloskar admitted it was “expensive upfront”.
“In the long-run, it is economical, with higher mileage and lower maintenance cost. We are confident of its acceptability in the Indian market as it runs both on electricity and fuel.”
Comparing to Corolla and Camry, Prius uses an all-electric compressor for cooling which can be classified as a super ultra low emission vehicle, the car can be propelled by either petrol or electric power.
“We are aware that Honda is launching its hybrid variant in the Indian market soon despite high import tariff. We can also do it with due preparation. As I said earlier, we have to gear up to service such a premium car by training our personnel and stocking enough spare parts with the dealer network,” Kirloskar said.
The Hybrid, were sold since April 2008 worldwide, including 592,000 units in the US and 315,000 units in Japan.
Kirloskar said Toyota Kirloskar already introduced Corolla and Camry as premium segment, Innova as multi-utility and Prado as sports utility segments in India and meet success.
“We launched Innova by discontinuing Qualis and yet maintained market leadership in the segment. In the second-hand or used car market, Toyota brands commands highest price even today because of their value and durability,” he said.
“With the Indian economy poised to grow over eight-nine percent, we see immense potential to grow, thanks to increasing purchasing power, higher aspirations among the generation next, better road connectivity and migrant-driven urbanization,” Kirloskar said.
- Toyota awaits duty relief to bring hybrid Prius to India - Feb 23, 2009
- Toyota to launch its hybrid sedan in India - Aug 05, 2008
- Toyota's second production unit in India to be ready by Dec - Aug 29, 2010
- Toyota aims to sell 70,000 units of Etios models in 2011 - Dec 06, 2010
- Karnataka gives tax sops to Toyota's second car plant - Jun 23, 2011
- Toyota's August sales up 84 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar closes August with 20 percent sales growth - Sep 01, 2012
- Toyota forges ahead, Ford goes on the reverse in July - Aug 01, 2012
- Toyota investing Rs.500 cr for engine plant in India - Jul 06, 2010
- Toyota Kirloskar logs 22 percent sales growth - Jul 01, 2012
- Toyota launches diesel version of Corolla Altis - Jul 21, 2010
- Budget impact: Toyota Kirloskar to increase prices - Mar 16, 2012
- Toyota sells one-millionth Prius in U.S. - Apr 06, 2011
- Toyota launches diesel variant of Liva and Etios Liva - Sep 09, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar's July sales up 99 percent - Aug 01, 2011