Torosaurus And Triceratops Are Same Dinosaur, Researchers ClaimAugust 3rd, 2010 - 7:44 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Aug 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The triceratops a well known three horned dinosaur could never have existed as the scientists are saying the species was actually a smaller variant of torosaurus. Two scientists named Jack Horner and John Scannella at the Museum of the Rockies in Montana studied two skulls of torosaurus and triceratops. Both the dinosaurs possessed three horns on their skulls but their size was different and the position was also not identical. The computer simulated images of both the species show that they bear striking similarity which also supports the new finding. The finding may throw light on some hitherto unknown facts about the species.
The researchers are now of the opinion that the dinosaur species named triceratops nothing more than a variant of torosaurus and the horns altered shape as the animal grew up. The holes found on its neck frills appeared when the animal was fully grown. The finding has made sensation in the scientists community. Now the torosaurus samples will be classified as triceratops. In 1903 the affinity of Brontosaurus, a popular dinosaur with another dinosaur named Apatosaurus was found. This is not uncommon in dinosaur and reptile related research.
The errors also occur because at times as the scientists come across with parts of the skull of a particular dinosaur. Later when they find the full skull of the same species they may mistake it to be a sample belonging to another species. However with time more advanced date testing methods are being developed which can be used to determine the accurate result. Earlier such errors would take ages to get detected.
- Triceratops, Torsaurus same dino at different stages of growth - Jul 15, 2010
- New giant horned dinosaur is actually an ancestor of Triceratops - Jun 16, 2010
- Newly discovered dino 'may be father of Triceratops' - Feb 01, 2011
- Two New Dinosaur Species Found In Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Scientists discover bizzare horned dinos on 'lost continent' in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- New horned dinosaurs found in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Two New Dinosaur Species Uncovered In The Arid Zone Of Southern Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- A third of all known dinosaur species may have never existed - Oct 10, 2009
- Newly discovered species of dinosaur bridges gap in dinosaur family tree - Apr 13, 2011
- Scientists Announce the Discovery of Two New Dinosaur Species in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- What's in a name? A dino by any other name would seem just as fierce - Sep 25, 2010
- One-third of all dinosaur species may never have existed - Oct 31, 2009
- New dinosaur species found in China - Aug 29, 2010
- 103mn-yr-old first horned dino identified in South Korea - Dec 07, 2010
- Triceratops horns were lethal battle weapons, not mere ornaments - Jan 28, 2009
Tags: accurate result, affinity, dinosaur researchers, dinosaur species, dinosaurs, holes, horned dinosaur, horns, jack horner, john scannella, museum of the rockies, related research, scientists, sensation, shape, skull, skulls, striking similarity, torosaurus, triceratops