This is what Bush and bin Laden would say if they met!November 14th, 2007 - 2:58 am ICT by admin
“These are two people who ought to be talking but aren’t, so I’m going to make up a dialogue between them,” Hix said.
“I think there’s important dialogue that hasn’t happened, and I’m trying to generate that dialogue,” he added.
In the book, Hix created poems using Bush’s own words from speeches, executive orders and other public statements. He also constructed poetry from the letters, speeches and other discourses of bin Laden.
“God Bless” also includes candid interviews with a diverse panel of experts, ranging from M. Javad Zarif, the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, to CNN terrorism analyst Peter Bergen.
“It’s a weird book. It was even a weird book for me. I’ve never done anything like it before, and I don’t think I’ll ever do anything like it again. I don’t know how it started happening, I just sort of found myself doing it,” he said.
Hix said that to research for the book, he read more than 8,000 pages of speeches by the president, obtained from the official White House Web site, and “pulled out language usage that I thought was interesting.”
He then studied bin Laden’s words and wrote what he called “interleaves” that use both direct quotations and reconstruction.
“God Bless,” released by Etruscan Press this month, is available for purchase at local bookstores or on the Internet. (ANI)
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- 9/11 literature (To go with 9/11 triggers cascade of books) - Sep 07, 2011
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' a rare cinematic treat (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Mar 03, 2012
- Shock and abuse: Bollywood's new style - Feb 15, 2011
- Osama killing: US awaiting clarification on Pakistani doctor - Jun 05, 2012
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- A year after Osama's killing, terrorism far from dead - May 01, 2012
- Osama dead but terrorism far from over, say US experts (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Osama dead but not terrorism, say US experts (Second Lead) - May 01, 2012
- No pleasure in Osama death: Bush - Sep 06, 2011
- Does 'coded message in Bible point to Qaeda's nuclear weapon hideout'? - Dec 11, 2010
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- Bush declines Obama's invitation to go to Ground Zero - May 04, 2011
- Book reveals that Bill Clinton wept over Monica Lewinsky scandal - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: bin laden, bush speeches, candid interviews, cnn, dialogue, discourses, english professor, god bless, h l hix, i don t know, iranian ambassador, javad, language and culture, language usage, national book award finalist, peter bergen, public statements, university of wyoming, weird book, white house web site