Test can tell suspect’s age from blood dropNovember 23rd, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 23 (IANS) A crime-busting test that can reveal the age of a suspect from a drop of blood has been devised by scientists.
Detectives using the test can narrow someone’s age to within nine years using tell-tale markers in their DNA.
The profiling technique even works on dried bloodstain and could shed light on unsolved ‘cold cases’ dating back to decades, according to the journal Current Biology.
The breakthrough brings closer the day when forensic investigators can piece together identikit pictures of suspects - including their build and colour of the eyes, hair and skin, from a tiny speck of blood, skin or saliva left at a crime scene, reports the Daily Mail.
The new profiling method has been devised by Dutch scientists who say it could be put to “immediate practical use”.
Manfred Kayser of the Erasmus MC University Medical Centre in Rotterdam, Holland, said: “We have demonstrated that human age can be estimated from blood with reasonable accuracy using a simple, robust, and sensitive test assay.
“Our method is applicable in situations where only bloodstains are available, which covers a large proportion of crime cases.”
The test will be invaluable to crime scene investigators who currently need teeth or bones to work out the age of a suspected crime victim.
Previous attempts to come up with an age DNA test have had limited success, said Kayser.
- DNA test can now tell hair colour - Jan 06, 2011
- Genes invest you with unique facial identity - Sep 14, 2012
- How a drop of blood can reveal your age - Nov 23, 2010
- Breakthrough: Culprit's DNA can be used to predict probable hair colour - Jan 04, 2011
- Scientists identify genes involved in human eye color - May 07, 2010
- Coming soon: camera that 'sees the invisible' - Nov 11, 2010
- Touch DNA test would not have helped in Aarushi case: Expert - Dec 30, 2010
- Human Skin Can Be Turned Into Blood, Study Says - Nov 08, 2010
- Blood spatter 3D model to make crime scene investigation easier - Jul 21, 2010
- Thumbs down to benefits of chocolate, red wine - Aug 29, 2012
- Simple blood test to detect Down's syndrome cuts miscarriage risk - Mar 07, 2011
- Parents as accused: Aarushi murder's similarity with others - Feb 09, 2011
- Synthetic DNA spray tracks burglars - Oct 21, 2010
- Porn actor Luka Rocca Magnotta is a prime suspect in Canadian body parts case - May 31, 2012
- New test to detect Turner syndrome early - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,