Tech legend Steve Jobs quits as Apple CEOAugust 25th, 2011 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 25 (IANS) Amid a long battle against illness, technical legend Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple, but will stay on as chairman of the iconic computer maker.
He will be replaced by former Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, the company announced late Wednesday but made no mention of Jobs’ health in its statement about the change.
Jobs, however, alluded to it in the letter of resignation he sent to Apple’s board Wednesday and later released publicly.
“I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come,” wrote Jobs, who has been on medical leave since January.
Cook, who has been filling in as the company’s leader, has nearly 30 years of experience in the computer industry, serving in leadership roles at IBM, Intelligent Electronics and Compaq before joining Apple in 1998.
“Steve’s extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world’s most innovative and valuable technology company,” board member Art Levinson said in praise of Jobs, who led a historic turnaround for the once-ailing company.
Jobs co-founded Apple with Steve Wozniak in 1976 from his family’s garage. Nine years later, Jobs parted ways with Apple after disagreements with management. He returned as a consultant in 1996 and became interim CEO a year later. In 2000, he took the job permanently.
In his second run as CEO, Jobs led a Phoenix-like resurrection that transformed Apple from a bumbling also-ran to the second-largest company in the world by market value.
Billion-dollar products like the iMac, iTunes, iPod, iPhone, and most recently the iPad have made Apple the envy of all tech competitors.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs resigns due to health problems - Aug 25, 2011
- World says iGrieve as Steve Jobs passes away - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dead at 56 - Oct 06, 2011
- Steve Wozniak talks about Steve Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- First Generation Apple Computer Can Fetch $160,000 From Auction - Nov 13, 2010
- Apple flash mob to be held in St.Petersburg - Oct 14, 2011
- Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO - Aug 25, 2011
- Apple to hold Steve Jobs memorial Sunday - Oct 15, 2011
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Rare Apple 1 computer to be auctioned - Jun 15, 2012
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Wandering in India, Steve Jobs learned intuition - Oct 24, 2011
- India was the source of spirituality to Steve Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs died of respiratory arrest, death certificate shows - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: ailing company, apple ceo, arun kumar, ceo of apple, computer industry, computer maker, disagreements, intelligent electronics, interim ceo, ipad, iphone, leadership roles, letter of resignation, levinson, medical leave, member art, s board, steve jobs, steve wozniak, tim cook