TDSAT adjourns hearing on 3G roaming till Jan 17January 9th, 2012 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 9 (IANS) The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) Monday adjourned till Jan 17 the case on 3G roaming after the Department of Telecom (DoT) requested for a copy of the confidential agreements signed between operators.
The DoT said being the licensor they should be given a copy of the agreements which have already been submitted to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
Earlier this month, the DoT had challenged TDSAT’s jurisdiction over the matter and stressed that the tribunal cannot entertain the petition which alters the licence conditions.
A two-judge bench headed by Justice (retd) S.B. Sinha said the hearing on both the issues - whether the copy of the agreements should be disclosed to the DoT and if TDSAT had the jurisdiction to decide on the 3G roaming issue - will be discussed Jan 17.
Last year, Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea Cellular had entered into roaming agreements to offer 3G services such as video calling, mobile TV and multi-media gaming in areas where they did not have 3G spectrum.
The DoT had, however, asked operators to terminate their 3G roaming agreements and said the roaming agreement among telecom companies for 3G services is illegal and would lead to a significant loss of revenue to the government.
The operators had moved the telecom tribunal challenging the DoT order, saying it would harm customers and the cause of investment in the sector.
- 3G case: Tribunal's jurisdiction on hearing questioned - Jan 03, 2012
- 3G dispute: Court refuses to stay TDSAT order - Feb 23, 2012
- TDSAT's split verdict on 3G roaming pacts; Telcos to move Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- TDSAT provides relief to telecom operators till Jan 3 - Dec 24, 2011
- TDSAT gives split verdict on 3G roaming pacts - Jul 03, 2012
- 3G roaming: High court dismisses DoT plea (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Court stays telecom tribunal's order on hiked 2G rates - Oct 22, 2010
- Penalties on new operators for roll-out delay set aside - Jan 13, 2012
- Tribunal asks Vodafone to pay Rs.25 crore penalty - Nov 18, 2011
- Former telecom regulator testifies in 2G case - Feb 23, 2012
- Return 3G license fees if roaming pact illegal: Telecom biggies - Nov 22, 2011
- Airtel, Idea, Vodafone asked to stop 3G roaming service (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Airtel, Idea, Vodafone asked to stop 3G roaming service - Dec 23, 2011
- One-time fee for extra spectrum under consideration: Sibal - Aug 24, 2012
- Qualcomm to get license after clearing Rs.410 crore dues - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: 3g services, appellate tribunal, bench, idea cellular, jurisdiction, licence conditions, licensor, mobile tv, multi media, New Delhi, petition, sinha, spectrum, telecom companies, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai, vodafone