Taiwan’s Mediatek brings Facebook to entry level phonesNovember 8th, 2011 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Taiwan-based mobile handsets chipset manufacturer Mediatek Tuesday signed a deal with social networking site Facebook to bring the site on entry level feature phones through its new solution — MRE.
“Under this partnership we will integrate Facebook into MediaTek mobile platform solutions. This truly enriches the end user experience and increases more premium value for handset vendors,” said MediaTek corporate vice president Cheng-Te Chuang.
“This partnership reinforces our focus on providing differentiated services and value for handset brands, giving them the means to offer affordable, compelling and differentiated mobile solutions to consumers in key emerging markets like India,” he added.
A feature phone only contains limited pre-installed applications and does not accept downloads of new applications. MRE-based smart-feature phone will provide application expansion on feature phones previously reserved for smartphones.
The company has also partnered mobile handsets manufacturers Micromax and Spice who will be launching their devices in the market by the month-end starting at Rs.2,000 range.
“MRE solutions hold infinite potential for millions of users around the world and will level off the playing-field in the mobile device space,” said Spice Mobility managing director Dilip Modi.
- Spice plans incubation centres for mobile apps developers - Nov 07, 2011
- Finnish mobile software firm to launch Bangalore operations - Jul 10, 2010
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Micromax launches world's lightest touch phone - Oct 20, 2010
- Nokia to focus on sub-Rs.6,000 category - Oct 31, 2011
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Micromax appoints new CEO - Dec 27, 2011
- Chinese cell phones' demand may dip soon: S Mobility - Oct 13, 2011
- Now a mobile that drives away mosquitoes - Dec 24, 2009
- Nokia E5 launched in India - Oct 06, 2010
- Mobile device sales in India to reach 231 mn - Nov 22, 2011
- Huawei launches economic android phones in India - Jul 29, 2010
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: corporate vice president, device space, differentiated services, emerging markets, feature phone, feature phones, handset vendors, infinite potential, mediatek, micromax, mobile device, mobile handsets, mobile platform, mobile solutions, mre, new solution, platform solutions, president cheng, rs 2, social networking site