Sun-powered plane flies non-stop for 20 hoursJune 6th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Rabat (Morocco), June 6 (IANS) An aircraft of the size of an Airbus A340, fitted with 12,000 solar cells, took off from Madrid, Spain, flew about 800 km over the Mediterranean and arrived safely in Morocco Wednesday, after flying non-stop for nearly 20 hours.
The aircraft, named Rabat Solar Impulse, left Madrid late Tuesday and landed at the Rabat airport Wednesday, Xinhua reported.
Made of carbon fibre, the plane is of the size of an Airbus A340, but only weighs as much as an average family car — about 1,600 kg.
The solar cells built into the wing provide four 10 horse-power electric motors with renewable energy. By day, the solar cells recharge the 400 kg lithium batteries, enabling the plane to fly at night.
The plane arrived in Madrid May 25 from Switzerland. Its two-leg Europe-Africa trip covers 2,500 km.
Wednesday’s flight was described by the organisers as a dress rehearsal for a round-the-world flight with a new and improved plane in 2014.
The project began in 2003 and is estimated to cost about $100 million.
- Solar plane to make first cross-continent flight - Apr 25, 2012
- Solar-powered plane attempts intercontinental flight - May 25, 2012
- Solar-powered plane set for world tour - Oct 15, 2010
- Swiss solar plane makes first flight - Apr 07, 2010
- Solar plane successfully makes first test flight - Apr 08, 2010
- Solar plane takes off for test flight - Jul 08, 2010
- Air India's Dreamliner to be in service from Sep 19 - Sep 12, 2012
- Solar Plane Lands Safely After Flying Through The Night - Jul 11, 2010
- Air India to get demo-trial on Boeing 787 next week - Jul 06, 2011
- Swiss team plans to fly solar plane all night - Jun 16, 2010
- Swiss solar powered aircraft begins first international flight - May 13, 2011
- Air India's first Dreamliner arrives after 4-year wait - Sep 08, 2012
- Solar Plane Lands Subsequent To The Attainment Of Its Initial 24-Hour Flight - Jul 11, 2010
- Boeing Dreamliner to skip Mumbai leg of India visit - Jul 14, 2011
- 'Eternal' solar plane Zephyr confirmed record-breaker - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: 100 million, africa trip, airbus a340, carbon fibre, dress rehearsal, europe africa, fly, horse power, lithium, lithium batteries, madrid spain, mediterranean, organisers, rabat airport, rabat morocco, renewable energy, solar cells, solar impulse, world flight, xinhua