Sulabh founder to get Renewable Energy AwardJune 10th, 2009 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 10 (IANS) Sulabh International, an Indian organisation popular for introducing low-cost toilet technology, has been selected for this year’s prestigious Renewable Energy award.
The Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organisation (IREO) will present the award to Sulabh founder, Dr.Bindeshwar Pathak, at the United Nations headquarters here Thursday.
Sulabh International was selected for the award for Pathak’s “incredible strides in promoting and changing the standards of sanitation in India as well other parts of the globe”, according to IREO secretary general, Robson Mello.
Pathak and his team has developed an indigenous two-pit toilet technology which is cost effective and produces biogas. Recycling and reuse of human excreta for biogas generation is an important way to get rid of health hazards from human excreta.
IREO aims to contribute to the global battle against the environmental challenges posed by the development of human civilization through the implementation of pilot projects designed to educate, promote and expand the use of renewable energies around the globe.
- Indian NGO to push sanitation goals in developing nations - Sep 17, 2012
- Sulabh founder gets Renewable Energy Award in US - Jun 12, 2009
- 'Sulabh toilet model can be adopted worldwide' - Jun 03, 2012
- India's 'Sulabh Sauchalaya' going global - May 23, 2010
- US engineers' body lauds low-cost Indian toilet technology - May 18, 2010
- Sulabh to launch sanitation project in Uganda - Jan 16, 2012
- Sulabh founder to address Cambridge University students - Jan 20, 2011
- India's Sulabh gets top UN consultative status - Nov 03, 2011
- Educating European leaders on India's low-cost toilets - Sep 12, 2012
- Indian toilet model to be used in Afghanistan - Sep 05, 2010
- 'Sulabh toilets can help reduce global warming' - May 27, 2010
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- Runaway bride awarded for revolting against lack of loo - Feb 10, 2012
- Runaway bride returns home to new toilet in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 28, 2012
- Sulabh disburses monthly aid to Vrindavan widows - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,