Stress makes your hair grayJune 16th, 2009 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 16 (IANS) Tired of those annoying graying hair that tend to show up as we age? Latest research says it is not ageing but stress that causes those pesky graying hair.
Researchers have discovered that “genotoxic stress” does damage to DNA and reduces melanocyte stem cells within hair follicles that are responsible for making those pigment-producing cells. When confronted with a tough situation, instead of dying off, these stem cells differentiate and form fully mature melanocytes themselves.
Researchers believe that anything that can limit stress may stop the graying from happening.
Emi Nishimura of Tokyo Medical and Dental University said: “The DNA in cells is under constant attack by exogenously-and endogenously-arising DNA-damaging agents such as mutagenic chemicals, ultraviolet light and ionizing radiation. It is estimated that a single cell in mammals can encounter approximately 100,000 DNA damaging events per day.”
“Once stem cells are damaged irreversibly, the damaged stem cells need to be eliminated to maintain the quality of the stem cell pools. We have found that excessive genotoxic stress triggers differentiation of melanocyte stem cells,” Nishimura added.
Nishimura believes that differentiation might be a more sophisticated way to get rid of those cells rather than stimulating their death.
Findings of this research were published in the journal Cell.
- Stress turns hair gray - Jun 12, 2009
- Grey hair may give protection against cancer - Jun 22, 2009
- Hope for baldness cure - Apr 30, 2012
- Swimming in indoor pools could increase cancer risk - Sep 13, 2010
- Male pattern balding 'due to stem cell inactivation' - Jan 05, 2011
- Soon, 'magic lotion' to restore greying hair's black sheen - Jun 20, 2010
- Coming soon: Cloned hair follicles to cure baldness! - May 01, 2011
- 'Co-conspirator' cells may hold key to skin cancer prevention - Aug 31, 2010
- A cure for baldness 'could be available in 5 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- Study sheds light on blood stem cell, leukemia link - Aug 17, 2010
- New rapid technique enables successful, fast human stem cell purification - Aug 07, 2010
- A stem cell cure for bald pates - Dec 20, 2010
- Stress turns hair grey - Aug 23, 2011
- Study reveals that Stress turns hair grey - Aug 23, 2011
- Cell suicide can trigger cancer growth - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: dental university, differentiation, dna, emi, genotoxic stress, graying hair, hair follicles, hair gray, ionizing radiation, london, mammals, mutagenic chemicals, nishimura, pigment, pools, stem cell, stem cells, tokyo medical, ultraviolet light