Steve Jobs to be honoured with Grammy awardDecember 22nd, 2011 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Dec 22 (IANS) Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will be posthumously honoured with a Grammy award for his contribution to music technology, The Recording Academy announced Wednesday.
Jobs, who died Oct 5 of pancreatic cancer, will receive a Trustees Award for helping create products “that transformed the way we consume music, TV, movies and books”, Xinhua quoted the academy as saying in a statement.
Apple Computer Inc. first received a Technical Grammy Award in 2002 for contributions of outstanding technical significance to the recording field, the academy said.
Along with Jobs, bandleader and composer Dave Bartholomew, recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder will also receive the award.
The academy also picked the Allman Brothers, Glen Campbell, Diana Ross and Brazilian pianist/singer/guitarist Antonio Carlos Jobim as recipients of Lifetime Achievement Awards. Jobim was known for composing “The Girl from Ipanema”, a worldwide hit in the mid-1960s which won a Grammy for Record of the Year in 1965.
Other artists, including trumpeter Wayne Jackson, saxophonist Andrew Love of the Memphis Horns, country legend George Jones, and the late Gil Scott-Heron were also named as recipients.
German sound-technology firm Celemony and the late audio engineer Roger Nichols, who worked with artists including Ross, Placido Domingo, James Taylor and Stevie Wonder, were recognized with Grammy Technical Awards.
“This year’s honorees offer a variety of brilliance, contributions and lasting impressions on our culture,” said President/CEO of The Recording Academy Neil Portnow.
“It is an honor to recognize such a diverse group of individuals whose talents and achievements have had an indelible impact on our industry.”
The honorees will be formally acknowledged during the 54th Annual Grammy Awards telecast at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles Feb 12, 2012.
- Julie Andrews to get lifetime achievement Grammy - Dec 23, 2010
- Kanye West tops 54th Grammy nominations with seven - Dec 01, 2011
- Michael Jackson to get lifetime achievement Grammy - Dec 11, 2009
- Julie Andrews to receive lifetime achievement Grammy award - Dec 23, 2010
- Mick Jagger to perform at Grammy Awards - Feb 04, 2011
- 25 new inductees into Grammy Hall of Fame - Nov 22, 2011
- Latin Recording Academy names new board members - Jun 29, 2011
- Colombian Salsa great Alvaro Jose Arroyo dies - Jul 27, 2011
- Grammys change rules; Gaga ineligible for new artist award - Jul 08, 2010
- The First Look Of Eminem’s Commercial In Grammy Awards - Jan 07, 2011
- George Clooney to get a special Emmy Award - Jul 22, 2010
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Four Tops to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Grammys - Dec 23, 2008
- Placido Domingo Bags Person Of The Year Award In 2010 Latin Grammy - Nov 12, 2010
- Rahman loses Oscar for '127 Hours' original score - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: antonio carlos jobim, apple computer inc, audio engineer, country legend, dave bartholomew, diana ross, gil scott heron, grammy awards telecast, indelible impact, lasting impressions, lifetime achievement awards, memphis horns, mid 1960s, placido domingo, recording academy, recording engineer, roger nichols, rudy van gelder, staples center, technical significance