Statue of Tutankhamun’s grandfather foundOctober 4th, 2010 - 6:06 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Oct 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egyptian archaeologists have found a 3,000-year-old statue of Amenhotep III, believed to be the grandfather of famous boy pharaoh Tutankhamun.
“The find is fantastic… because of the details of the facial features,” Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities Secretary General Zahi Hawass said.
Scientists had been excavating Amenhotep III funerary temple at Kom al-Hitan when they unearthed the upper half of the red-granite statue of the famous pharaoh’s grandfather.
The statue depicts Amenhotep III sitting down on a throne, accompanied by god Amun.
Egyptologists believe the full statue is some three meters tall.
Many fragments of red-granite statues have been unearthed at Amenhotep III’s funerary temple within the last years.
Amenhotep III ruled Egypt between 1390 and 1352 B.C. He was almost certainly the grandfather of Tutankhamun, according to the results of DNA tests of Tutankhamun’s mummy.
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Temple of Tut's grandad could be home to ancient statues - May 18, 2010
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Egypt unearths 3,400-year-old Pharaoh statue - Nov 05, 2010
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Results of DNA testing on King Tut's mummy to be revealed soon - Feb 01, 2010
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- 2,000-year-old temple dedicated to cat god found in Egypt - Jan 20, 2010
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Statue of Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep III to be resurrected - Mar 02, 2009
- Remains of church, 'nilometer' discovered on Egypt's Avenue of Sphinxes - May 12, 2010
Tags: al hitan, amenhotep iii, boy pharaoh, cairo, dna tests, egypt, egyptian archaeologists, facial features, fragments, funerary temple, god amun, granite statue, kom, mummy, ria novosti, secretary general, statues, supreme council of antiquities, tutankhamun, zahi hawass