Statins can cut prostate cancer riskOctober 2nd, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 2 (IANS) Cholesterol lowering drugs like statins, taken by millions to combat heart disease, could help reduce fatalities in prostate cancer, new research has found.
US studies suggest that high cholesterol levels could also up risks of prostate cancer, which could be lowered with a daily dose of statins.
In the first study based on 30,000 men, those with high cholesterol levels were found to be 22 percent more likely to suffer a prostate tumour than those with low or normal readings.
They were also 85 percent more at risk of developing a serious, fast-growing form of the disease, according to researchers at the National Cancer Institute in America, the Daily Mail reports.
“Statins may reduce the risk of advanced prostate cancer by lowering cholesterol,” the journal Cancer Causes and Control journal reports.
In the second study, a team at the Cleveland Clinic, in Ohio, looked at tissue samples from more than 4,000 men who underwent biopsies because doctors suspected they had prostate cancer.
Those taking statins were nearly 10 percent less likely to be diagnosed with a tumour and 24 percent less likely to have an aggressive cancer than men who were not.
- PSA test more reliable in men taking prostate-shrinking drug - Dec 18, 2010
- Statins 'may prevent re-growth of prostate cancer' - Jun 28, 2010
- A jab could lower cholesterol by two-thirds - Nov 15, 2011
- Heart disease may be linked to prostate cancer - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Statins prevent cancer in heart transplant patients' - May 20, 2012
- Statins usage after prostatectomy lowers cancer recurrence: Study - Jun 28, 2010
- Exercise 'cuts death risk for men with prostate cancer' - Jan 06, 2011
- Coffee lowers risk of prostate cancer: Study - May 21, 2011
- Pan-fried meat induces prostate cancer - Aug 19, 2012
- Statins could help stave off seizures - Oct 26, 2010
- Hair loss reduces prostate cancer risk in men - Mar 18, 2010
- Statins stave off depression in heart patients - Feb 26, 2012
- Vitamin E supplement ups chances of prostate cancer - Oct 12, 2011
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Fibre intake lowers death risk - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: aggressive cancer, biopsies, cancer causes and control, cholesterol, cholesterol lowering drugs, cleveland clinic, daily dose, daily mail, doctors, heart disease, high cholesterol levels, journal cancer causes, lowering cholesterol, mail reports, national cancer institute, prostate cancer, prostate cancer risk, prostate tumour, statins, tissue samples