Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at CernSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 8:16 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Geneva, Sept 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists are scratching their heads after an experiment apparently disproved Einstein’s theory of special relativity. The theory which is one of the fundamental in the world of physics states that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the square of speed of light.
In the new experiment which was conducted at the European Organization (CERN) for Nuclear Research lab in Geneva, the scientists say they accelerated a particle that traveled a distance of 454 miles in just 60 nanoseconds. That is faster than the speed of light so applying that to Einstein’s E=mc2 will give an infinite amount of energy. That has presented a headache to scientists all over the world because the Einstein theory has been applied to so many technologies including space technology.
A spokesperson for CERN, James Gillies, says some scientists are questioning the results. He said that, “The feeling that most people have is this can’t be right, this can’t be real,’ he said. ‘They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they’ve done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements.”
The speed of light is 186,282 mps.
- Scientists clock particles smashing light barrier - Sep 24, 2011
- Neutrinos on agenda during Patil's Swiss visit - Sep 29, 2011
- God Particle's discovery 'biggest leap in physics' (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Has the 'God Particle' been found? - Apr 26, 2011
- Electromagnetism and gravity: Are they related? - Sep 20, 2011
- After particle discovery, spotlight on Satyendra Nath Bose - Jul 05, 2012
- "Optical tweezers" to help development of advanced quantum computers - Jul 07, 2010
- Large Hadron Collider sets new beam intensity record - Apr 23, 2011
- Nasa scientists spot mystery giant 'space bubbles' - Nov 12, 2010
- Einstein starved his wife of sex? - Apr 30, 2012
- God particle may not exist after all, say experts - Aug 23, 2011
- Einstein was right... higher you live, faster you age! - Jul 24, 2012
- Saha Institute to take up boson naming case with CERN - Sep 01, 2012
- India third largest shareholder in FAIR science project - Sep 03, 2012
- Einstein's manuscript displayed at Shanghai expo - May 07, 2010
Tags: cern, cern geneva, e mc2, einstein theory, european organization, headache, james gillies, light experiments, measurements, nanoseconds, new experiment, nuclear research, particle, physics community, scientists, space technology, spokesperson, theory of special relativity, world of physics