Spectrum likely to be costlier for telecom firmsNovember 4th, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 3 (IANS) Telecom service providers will have to shell out a lot more for the spectrum that they use as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) stood by an earlier recommendation of a six-fold jump in 2G spectrum prices Thursday.
The last award of contracted spectrum in 2008 was for Rs.1,658 crore given to new operators.
“We have clearly stated that these are estimated prices, this is what we had stated earlier also,” TRAI chairman J.S. Sarma told reporters here.
Earlier, the telecom department had sought clarifications on the spectrum pricing from the regulator to which TRAI said: “Should the government decide to charge the spectrum beyond the initial spectrum by way of amending the licence conditions, the current price would be what has been estimated by the experts as the price of spectrum in 1,800 megahertz up to 6.2 megahertz.”
Sarma stressed that if an auction is conducted, that auction price should be taken as the price irrespective or whether it is higher or lower than the estimated price.
However, TRAI also said its recommendation for pricing of spectrum beyond 8 megahertz at 1.3 times is not appropriate as it may not match the market price, so that can be done away with.
“Insofar as the price of spectrum beyond 8 megahertz, the experts having made an estimation of value of spectrum up to and beyond 6.2 megahertz pricing of spectrum beyond 8 megahertz at 1.3 times the price of 8 megahertz spectrum would not be appropriate,” TRAI said in a statement.
“The estimation by the experts of the value of spectrum is based on assumptions that are significant and therefore may or may not match the market price,” it added.
- Telecom watchdog suggests six-fold hike in spectrum fee - Feb 09, 2011
- TRAI recommends high base prices for 2G auction - Apr 23, 2012
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- TRAI recommends over six-fold cost for 2G spectrum - Feb 09, 2011
- Telecom operators discuss spectrum issues with Sibal - Mar 08, 2011
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- TRAI 2G pricing recommendations by October-end - Oct 19, 2010
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
- Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms - Nov 28, 2011
- Fix reserve price at Rs.1,658 crore in 2G auction: Uninor - Feb 10, 2012
- Telecom honchos to meet Sibal - May 02, 2012
- Telecom watchdog to hold talks on pricing of 2G spectrum - May 20, 2010
- India 2G spectrum proposals by October end, says TRAI chairman - Oct 19, 2010
- Not possible to predict 2G losses: TRAI - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: 1 658, assumptions, auction price, clarifications, crore, estimation, licence conditions, megahertz, New Delhi, rs 1, sarma, spectrum, telecom department, telecom firms, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom service providers, trai