Space tourist Garriott, cosmonauts return to EarthOctober 24th, 2008 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 24 (DPA) A Russian Soyuz space capsule Friday returned to the Earth safely, carrying its crew of Russian cosmonauts and a US space tourist.The capsule with Richard Garriott, a computer games designer and son of NASA astronaut Owen Garriott, who paid $30 million to follow in his father’s footsteps, landed safely around 0330 GMT in the Kazakh steppe.
“Start and landing went according to plan. Now helicopters and search units are flying to the landing site,” Valeri Lyndin a spokesman of the flight control near Moscow, was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.
Soyuz also carried cosmonauts Olek Kononenko and Sergei Volkov, himself the son of a cosmonaut. Both of them spent six months on board the international ISS space station, part of the station’s 17th long-term crew.
Owen Garriott and Alexander Volkov both travelled to Kazakstan to welcome their sons.
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Space station crew land safely in Kazakhstan (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Russian spacecraft returns to earth - Jul 02, 2012
- Three ISS crew to return to earth - Mar 29, 2012
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Unidentified space debris narrowly misses ISS - Jun 28, 2011
- Astronauts from Russia, US reach International Space Station - Apr 04, 2010
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- Soyuz's re-entry capsule lands safely in Kazakhstan - Oct 11, 2009
- Russian space mission returns to earth - Mar 16, 2011
- Russian cosmonauts conduct space walk - Feb 17, 2012
- Russian cosmonauts take a six-hour spacewalk - Feb 17, 2012
- Russia launches manned spacecraft to ISS - Nov 14, 2011
- New crew to ISS to conduct 43 scientific experiments - May 24, 2011