Space shuttle Endeavour launch cancelled due to gas leakJune 17th, 2009 - 6:35 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
For the second time in less than a week a gas leak has postponed the launch of space shuttle Endeavour.
Nasa technicians discovered hydrogen gas leaking from a vent line on an external fuel tank early Wednesday morning as preparation were being made to continue the launch postponed on Saturday for the same reason.
A Nasa statement said, “at 1.55am (05.55 GMT) launch managers called a scrub, cancelling today’s planned launch of space shuttle Endeavour on its STS-127 mission.
“Despite troubleshooting efforts, engineers were unable to achieve a decrease in the liquid hydrogen leak.”
For an hour after the leak appeared during fuelling, engineers tried to fix the problem through remote commands. But they were finally forced to call off the pre-dawn launch from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center.
The shuttle was scheduled to deliver part of a Japanese laboratory to the International Space Station (ISS).
According to Nasa, the flight cannot be rescheduled before July 11 because the angle of the Sun between June 22 and July 10 would mean the shuttle would overheat while docked at the ISS.
During the mission, the ISS will be a temporary home to 13 astronauts - the first time so many have stayed on the station at once – and astronauts will carry-out five space walks to to attach a permanent platform weighing 1.9 tonnes (4256 pounds) to Japan’s Kibo laboratory aboard the ISS.
- Launch of NASA's space shuttle Endeavour postponed until July 13 - Jul 13, 2009
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Launch of space shuttle Discovery postponed - Nov 06, 2010
- NASA delays flight of Endeavor to avoid space jam - Apr 05, 2011
- NASA delays shuttle Endeavour's launch - Apr 30, 2011
- No spaceship, yet NASA wants more astronauts - Nov 17, 2011
- NASA invites 150 Twitter followers to Endeavour launch - Apr 26, 2011
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
- NASA delays Endeavour launch by 24 hours - Jul 12, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery launch targeted for no earlier than Feb 3 - Dec 04, 2010
- Space shuttle Endeavour launch postponed again - Jun 17, 2009
- NASA's delays launch of space shuttle Endeavour till May 2 - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: astronauts, external fuel tank, gas leak, hydrogen gas, hydrogen leak, international space station, kennedy space center, kibo, launch, liquid hydrogen, nasa, pre dawn, scrub, second time, space shuttle endeavour, space shuttle endeavour nasa, sts, temporary home, vent line, wednesday morning