Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final missionMarch 10th, 2011 - 2:36 am ICT by BNO News
CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) — Space shuttle Discovery on Wednesday ended a 13-day journey of more than five million miles with a smooth landing at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, concluding the spacecraft’s illustrious 27-year career.
“Discovery is an amazing spacecraft and she has served her country well,” NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said.
“The success of this mission and those that came before it is a testament to the diligence and determination of everyone who has worked on Discovery and the Space Shuttle Program, over these many years. As we celebrate the many accomplishments of this magnificent ship, we look forward to an exciting new era of human spaceflight that lies ahead.”
Steve Lindsey commanded the flight and was joined by Pilot Eric Boe and Mission Specialists Alvin Drew, Steve Bowen, Michael Barratt and Nicole Stott. The shuttle’s member crew delivered a new pressurized storage module, an outside storage platform, a robot-astronaut prototype, and tons of cargo. Spacewalks and indoor tasks were also performed.
Since 1984, Discovery flew 39 missions, spent 365 days in space, orbited Earth 5,830 times and traveled 148,221,675 miles. A welcome ceremony for the astronauts will be held Thursday, March 10, in Houston.
- Shuttle Discovery back to Earth post 13-day final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- Shuttle Atlantis returns safely to end its last mission - May 26, 2010
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Atlantis astronauts, in high spirits, work overtime - May 18, 2010
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery lifts off for final voyage - Feb 25, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- Atlantis starts home journey - May 23, 2010
- NASA's Space Shuttle Atlantis lifts off on final voyage - May 15, 2010
- US shuttle Atlantis lifts off for final journey - May 15, 2010
Tags: cape canaveral florida, career discovery, charles bolden, days in space, human spaceflight, kennedy space center, magnificent ship, member crew, michael barratt, mission specialists, nasa administrator, shuttle discovery lands, smooth landing, space shuttle discovery, space shuttle program, steve bowen, steve lindsey, storage module, storage platform, welcome ceremony