Space shuttle Discovery lands in CaliforniaSeptember 12th, 2009 - 11:04 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 12 (DPA) The space shuttle Discovery touched down in California Friday after weather concerns had prevented its scheduled landing in Florida Thursday.
The 5.53 p.m. (0053 GMT) landing at Edwards Air Force base in Southern California marked the end of the two-week mission that brought supplies and equipment to the International Space Station.
The touchdown was originally scheduled for Thursday night at Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, but NASA had to cancel two provisional landing times. The shuttle also had to avoid a piece of space junk on its flight to Earth, the space agency said.
In total, four landing times have been planned between Friday night and Saturday afternoon.
NASA generally tries to avoid landing at the site in the California desert because of the high transportation costs to bring the shuttle back to the Kennedy Space Centre.
The shuttle brought long-term ISS crew member Tim Kopra back to Earth after 58 days in space, he was replaced by US astronaut Nicole Stott.
The crew of six US and a Swedish astronaut delivered to the ISS a new sleeping compartment and a treadmill named for television comedian Stephen Colbert, as well as two racks for scientific experiments and a freezer to store experiments set to be sent back to Earth.
One of the racks will be used to conduct research on metals, semiconductors, crystal, glass and other materials in microgravity. The other will be used to study liquids and gels in space.
During three spacewalks, astronauts replaced an empty ammonia tank and made other repairs.
- Space Shuttle Discovery returns to Earth after successful mission - Sep 12, 2009
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery undocks from ISS - Sep 09, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Discovery launched successfully - Aug 29, 2009
- Space shuttle landing postponed - Sep 11, 2009
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Astronauts install ammonia tank on space station - Sep 04, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- US shuttle Discovery arrives at space station - Aug 31, 2009
- Space shuttle Endeavour successfully returns to Earth - Aug 01, 2009
- Astronauts transfer cargo carrier to ISS - Sep 01, 2009
- Astronauts to install ammonia tank during spacewalk - Sep 04, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- Discovery astronauts begin third spacewalk - Sep 06, 2009
Tags: california desert, crew member, crystal glass, days in space, discovery lands in california, edwards air force, edwards air force base, international space station, iss crew, kennedy space centre, nasa, scientific experiments, shuttle discovery lands, space junk, space shuttle discovery, spacewalks, stephen colbert, television comedian, transportation costs, weather concerns