Space Shuttle Atlantis Lifts Off From KSC On Scheduled DateMay 12th, 2009 - 8:23 pm ICT by GD
The Space shuttle Atlantis was launched without glitches from the Kennedy Space Center on Monday at 2.01 pm for its 11-day trip to repair the Hubble Space Telescope. On Monday at early hours, a build up of ice had concerned the officials and a team was sent out to the launch pad. According to reports, “Ice forms out of thin air and sticks to a lot of things at the launch pad because the fuel inside the tank is so cold.”
There were also some worries about a brush fire at northern Brevard County that might have affected visibility concerns if the shuttle was to make an emergency landing after take off but both concerns were cleared before the T minus 9 countdown began for the liftoff.
The shuttle is carrying two experiments. The National Lab Pathfinder is to be used to look at pathogenic organisms and a sleep study is scheduled to be conducted in the shuttle’s 11-day mission.
Atlantis is slated to reach Hubble on Wednesday and from Thursday onwards the seven astronauts will conduct the first of the five consecutive spacewalks to ensure that the space telescope can be used at least till 2014. The Hubble Space Telescope also needs new batteries, gyroscopes, cameras and other equipment, most of which ran out in its 19-year old current tenure. It is expected that once the equipment is restored, the Hubble will be able to look 10 to 70 times deeper into the universe and send back previously unseen data.
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA all set for Atlantis Shuttle launch - May 11, 2009
- STS-129: NASA set to launch Space Shuttle Atlantis today - Nov 16, 2009
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- STS-129 NASA successfully launches Space Shuttle Atlantis - Nov 17, 2009
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- NASA sets farewell shuttle launch July 8 - Jun 29, 2011
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
- US shuttle Atlantis lifts off for final journey - May 15, 2010
- NASA mission to upgrade Hubble to launch on May 11 - May 01, 2009
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Atlantis ready to launch on November 16 - Oct 30, 2009
- NASA examines long stretch of nicks on space shuttle Atlantis - May 13, 2009
- Space shuttle Atlantis lifts off from Cape Canaveral - Nov 17, 2009
- Astronauts install device on Hubble to study cosmic origins - May 17, 2009
Tags: astronauts, brevard county, brush fire, countdown, day trip, emergency landing, glitches, gyroscopes, hubble space telescope, kennedy space center, ksc, launch pad, liftoff, pathfinder, pathogenic organisms, sleep study, space shuttle atlantis, spacewalks, thin air, unseen data