Space industry a priority for Russia: PutinMay 1st, 2011 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Development of the national rocket and space industry is a priority for Russia, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said.
“From the perspective of the country’s defensive capacity, the rocket and space industry… is an absolute priority along with the nuclear industry and its military branch,” Putin told scientists from the Research Institute of Physical Measurements.
About 153 billion rubles ($5.6 billion) will be allocated to the national rocket and space industry in 2011 - which 30 percent higher than in 2010, Putin said.
The industry has shown an 18 percent growth despite the global financial crisis, he said.
“We have the absolute competitive advantage in rocket engineering, many of our partners lag behind us, but in several spheres we have to catch up.”
On the whole, the Russian defence industry is globally competitive, Putin added.
- Russia looks for commercial space projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia to invest $7 bn in space programmes in 2011 - Apr 08, 2011
- Russia develops ammonia rocket engine - May 06, 2012
- Vodka prices set for 30 percent hike in Russia - May 30, 2012
- Russia to spend $3.8 bn on space programmes in 2011 - Jan 12, 2011
- Russia to raise coal output to 430 mn tonnes - Jan 24, 2012
- Anti-crisis measures cost Russia about $100 bn : Putin - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia to raise liquor, cigarette tax - Apr 29, 2012
- Putin quits as head of ruling party - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia to double ballistic missiles production from 2013 - Apr 20, 2011
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Russian PM takes to ice skating to boost sport - Apr 29, 2011
- Russia prepared for second global crisis: Putin - Sep 07, 2012
- India, Russia to make multiple rocket systems - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia to spend $160 mn on health care in 2011 - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: absolute priority, competitive advantage, global financial crisis, may 1, military branch, moscow, nuclear industry, perspective, physical measurements, prime minister, ria novosti, rocket engineering, rubles, russia, russian defence industry, scientists, space industry, spheres, tb, vladimir putin