South Korea puts off rocket launch

June 9th, 2010 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS  

Seoul, June 9 (DPA) South Korea called off the launch of a space rocket Wednesday after problems with a safety system, media reports said.
Engineers discovered a leak in one of the oil fire extinguisher nozzles used during blast-off from the launch pad, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said. It added that the problem was not with the rocket itself.

“Both South Korean and Russian engineers are looking at the problem to see what can be done,” ministry spokesman Pyun Kyung Bum was quoted as saying by Yonhap news agency.

The 33-metre tall Naro-1 rocket had been due to lift off from the Naro Space Centre, 485 km south of the capital.

The country’s first locally assembled rocket blasted off in August but a malfunction prevented it from putting a 100-kg satellite into orbit.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sci-Tech |

Subscribe