Soon, Goa tourist hubs on your mobile phoneJune 23rd, 2011 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 23 (IANS) If you are planning that trip to Goa, you can soon quit browsing through bulky travel guides. Now, all the information on the state’s beaches, heritage sites and religious sites will be available on your mobile phones.
The Goa tourism department has partnered with Infotech Corporation of Goa Ltd (ITGL) for this mobile governance innovation.
“Locations which are of significance to tourists will be allocated with a specific unique code number. Texting the code number in the format MGoa_(code of place) to the number 56070, will give tourists information about that particular place,” tourism director Swapnil Naik said Thursday.
According to Naik, this innovation will make the “tourist friendly” state all the more friendly for tourists.
“Places of tourist importance like forts, beaches, cultural hotspots, heritage sites, religious structures, waterfalls, adventure tourism sites and other places of interest will be included in the project,” he said.
Naik said that signboards listing the codes for each place will be placed at strategic spots across the state and the tourism department would also increase awareness through the department’s official website and publicity material, including brochures and other travel literature.
“Goa Tourism is constantly innovating and improving in keeping up with the expectations of our guests. Getting tech-savvy was the need of the hour. We believe this tourist-friendly project will be of immense help to the millions of travellers who visit our state year after year,” Naik said.
Goa attracts over two million tourists annually, nearly a quarter of which are foreigners.
- Goa tourism to launch Rs.20 mn global ad campaign - Jul 07, 2011
- Goa hosted 2.68 million tourists in 2011-12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Night vision cameras to monitor Goa beaches - Jul 25, 2011
- After temples, Goa church wants strict code for tourists - Jun 17, 2011
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011
- Goa tourism policy may lose its 'fun' - May 20, 2012
- Goa may ban nudity, but unclear about topless bathing - Mar 12, 2010
- With Wendell busy, Goa tourism scouts for designer to make uniforms - Jun 10, 2011
- Central forces to guard Goa during tourist season - Dec 06, 2011
- Goa wants slice of LGBT tourism pie - Oct 19, 2011
- Bikinis back in Goa tourism campaigns - Apr 11, 2011
- Coming soon: Emergency helpline for tourists in Goa - Feb 16, 2011
- The new 'spicy' face of Goa's monsoon tourism - Jul 24, 2011
- Baywatch in Goa? Little hope for now - Apr 25, 2012
- Goa, Rajasthan hit wedding destinations for US tourists - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: adventure tourism, beaches, foreigners, forts, goa tourism, hubs, june 23, places of interest, publicity material, religious sites, religious structures, signboards, tech savvy, tourism department, tourism director, tourist importance, tourists, travel literature, two million, waterfalls