Soon, an ‘interview’ to detect drug usersDecember 12th, 2010 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 12 (IANS) A new tool to detect drug users on verbal cues alone may replace cumbersome doping tests, a study suggests.
Forensic psychology masters student Catherine Stipis from the James Cook University in Australia developed a tool to identify drug users through forensic analysis of their statements.
The tool is known as the Forensic Anti-Doping Interview, or FADI, which Stipis said may have a significant impact on eliminating drug use in sport, according to a James Cook statement.
“It is a popular fallacy, referred to as the ‘CSI effect,’ that most criminal investigations are solved through the use of scientifically verifiable evidence,” Stipis said.
“In fact, the majority of cases are solved through evidence obtained during interviews with witnesses and suspects.
“Despite extensive investment and research, attempts to deter and detect the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport through biological testing have failed to stem this form of cheating.”
“This protocol is based on psychological models of why criminal suspects confess, and techniques for detecting deception from forensic linguistics,” she said.
- New test detects growth hormone doping - Sep 17, 2012
- Armstrong won't contest doping charges, to lose titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Armstrong again faces doping charges - Jun 14, 2012
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- Armstrong 'pushed us towards' banned boosting agent EPO: Ex-teammate - Jan 19, 2011
- More cyclists back claims of systematic doping by Armstrong - Aug 05, 2010
- Windies women's cricketer gets five-month ban - Nov 19, 2011
- Sri Lankan sports minister sets up panel for Tharanga's dope case - May 30, 2011
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
- Facebook-addict crooks make it easier for US cops - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Biological passport' that measures blood, body chemistry may put dent in sports doping - May 08, 2010
- Robust doping controls in place for CWG - Sep 03, 2010
- Russia toughens anti-doping regulations - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,