Solar Powered Car Sets World Speed Record in AustraliaJanuary 13th, 2011 - 2:09 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A group of students who are located in the country of Australia have recently created a solar powered car which has managed to beat the previous world speed record for such vehicles. The car’s speed was almost the speed limit, in most regular roads of America that is, with a top speed of just over 55 miles an hour.
The ‘Sunswift IV’, as they named their car, was able to get to a top speed of 56.85 miles an hour, when the students entered it into the contest in Australia. They cheered in the Australian desert as the sun beamed down on the students from the University of New South Wales. This car broke the previous world speed record of a solar car, which was 49.09 miles an hour.
That record was made back in 1987, by the ‘Sunraycer’ which was created by GM. After twenty three years, the Australian students were determined to beat that record. In order to do so, the kids simply removed the battery of the car, which would not be necessary for such a contest, and would only be needed for longer trips. Their average speed was 55.14. The students hope to make it reach even faster speeds in October at the World Solar Challenge.
- World's fastest solar car produces same power as toaster uses! - Jan 07, 2011
- World's fastest solar car has power of household toaster! - Jan 07, 2011
- Solar car sets speed record - Jan 12, 2011
- Solar powered car sets world record - Jan 13, 2011
- World's fastest toilet on wheels - May 05, 2012
- Dikshit flags off solar car for world show - Sep 17, 2011
- GM Takes The Wraps Off New Camaro At Chicago Auto Show - Feb 10, 2011
- 19 Pakistani girls in car, set record - Dec 16, 2010
- Omlettes, guns and stunts for Bhopal's wonder boys (With Image) - Apr 20, 2011
- Perry Watkins of Buckinghamshire Attempts Guinness Fastest Furniture Record - Sep 08, 2010
- GM India to launch six new models in two years - Feb 12, 2011
- Iranian students design solar-powered car - Apr 08, 2011
- Pakistani varsity students design solar car - Jun 21, 2012
- Electric car sets world record covering 1,000 km on single charge - May 26, 2010
- Four-time world rally champion sets new car world speed record on ice at 330.695 km/h - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: australia, australian desert, australian students, average speed, car sets, gm, new south wales, solar car, solar powered car, speed limit, sun, top speed, twenty three years, university of new south wales, world solar challenge, world speed record