Solar powered car sets world recordJanuary 13th, 2011 - 1:13 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sydney, Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A group of students from the University of South Wales have made a record with their solar powered vehicle.
The vehicle which runs solely on solar with the battery of the car removed powered to a record speed of 88 kmh. The record did break the almost two and a half decade record for the fastest solar powered car.
The test ride took place at the HMAS Albatross navy base airstrip in Nowra. The testing had to take three days because most of the days, the car never got enough sunlight due to the clouds in the sky. The vehicle’s name is Sunwift IVy solar car and one of the students that were involved in making the car suggested jokingly that if the clouds were fighting with them so much, the vehicle’s name should be changed to “Cloudswift”.
Officials of the Guinness World Book of Records were there and it seems the new car is on its way into the books as the fastest solar car so far. The car performed better than expected.
The project manager of Sunswift, Daniel Friedman told reporters that, “We broke the record at 10.32 this morning. We were expecting to get our peak sun at noon, so the fact we broke the record so early was a great result.”
- Solar car sets speed record - Jan 12, 2011
- World's fastest solar car has power of household toaster! - Jan 07, 2011
- World's fastest solar car produces same power as toaster uses! - Jan 07, 2011
- Solar Powered Car Sets World Speed Record in Australia - Jan 13, 2011
- Dikshit flags off solar car for world show - Sep 17, 2011
- Britons may soon fly cars! - Jul 19, 2011
- Australian racer aiming to build world's fastest car - Dec 02, 2009
- Super-futuristic cars will be 'grown from seeds' rather than built - Oct 26, 2010
- Construction on Bloodhound 'supercar' to begin this week - Feb 08, 2011
- Alonso fastest on day one of mid-season test - May 02, 2012
- Pakistani varsity students design solar car - Jun 21, 2012
- Solar-powered New York rock band performs in Srinagar - Nov 12, 2011
- UK expedition team makes world record by crossing Antarctica in 13 days! - Dec 10, 2010
- Drive car while the sun shines, says designer of a solar car - Feb 20, 2010
- Scherzinger held at gunpoint in Mexico - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: airstrip, car sets, clouds in the sky, daniel friedman, decade, guinness world book, guinness world book of records, hmas albatross, navy base, new car, record speed, solar car, solar powered car, solar powered vehicle, sun, sunlight, sydney, test ride, university of south wales, world record