Six Indians get UN online volunteering awardDecember 3rd, 2010 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Six Indians have been chosen for the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) online volunteering award for their articles which helped spread awareness on the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), a statement said Friday.
The MDGs are eight international development goals that all 192 United Nations member states and at least 23 international organisations have agreed to achieve by the year 2015.
They include eradicating extreme poverty, reducing child mortality rates, fighting disease epidemics such as AIDS, and developing a global partnership for development.
“India’s voluntary sector has a formidable challenge and at the same time fantastic opportunities ahead. If India does not achieve the MDGs, the world will not. The mobilisation of volunteers from all walks of life can help accelerating progress towards achieving the MDGs before the 2015 deadline,” United Nations resident coordinator Patrice Coeur-Bizot said.
The six award winners who are among the total ten selected are Ritika Verma, Priyanka Ohri, Samarpita Mukherjee Sharma, Akanksha Gulia, Tarun Chawla and Radha Taralekar.
The volunteers, through their online work, focussed on the marginalised and disadvantaged, particularly through supporting local government efforts to address social exclusion in planning processes, mobilizing people to recognise the importance of the MDGs, the statement said.
They also initiated a Right to Information campaign in Orissa which aimed to raise awareness on MDGs, it added.
The awards are hosted by the German Positive Nett-Works Association.
- Delhi concert to urge action on millennium goals - Sep 16, 2010
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in India - Apr 26, 2012
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- Inequalities among states affect human development: Study - Jul 15, 2011
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- Asia-Pacific unlikely to meet hunger, child mortality goals - Feb 17, 2012
- India Shining? Income grows, development doesn't, says UNDP report - Nov 04, 2010
- UN chief to visit India - Apr 24, 2012
- Indian NGO to push sanitation goals in developing nations - Sep 17, 2012
- India's progress on Millennium Development Goals found tardy - Sep 08, 2010
- Involve developing countries in MDG, Speaker tells UN chief - Apr 28, 2012
- UN chief to visit India this week (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Supermodel joins Assam women to create lifestyle products - Jun 08, 2010
- Indian under-fives the most vulnerable in the world (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Ban to meet business leaders for UN health agenda - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,