Simulated polls to test new voting system TuesdayJuly 25th, 2011 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 25 (IANS) The Election Commission will Tuesday conduct a mock poll exercice in Cherrapunjee, one of the wettest places on earth, to test the Voter Verifiable Paper Trial (VVPT) system, an election official said Monday.
The VVPT is a prototype of the present electronic voting machines (EVM) fitted with a printing apparatus where a voter would be able to see the candidate to whom he or she has cast his vote. However, the voter will not get a copy of the paper receipt.
“Sixteen people have been selected as dummy candidates with independent symbols for the mock polls to test VVPT system,” Meghalaya’s Chief Electoral Officer Prashant Naik told IANS.
The system has been developed by the Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and the Electronics Corporation of India (ECIL).
“One VVPT machine each will be set up at 36 polling stations for trial test,” Naik said.
The mock poll will he held from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The poll panel has appealed to all political parties to get involved in the trial process and to have a first hand experience of the system.
The VVPT trial was decided after the commission’s meeting with all political parties in October last year and repeated allegations that the EVMs are being tampered with to manipulate election results.
Various political parties have been demanding that the VVPT system be introduced for ensuring “free and fair elections”.
- Simulated polls to test new voting system - Jun 15, 2011
- New voting machine with paper trail tested - Jul 26, 2011
- New voting machines found perfect: Election Commission - Jul 28, 2011
- Voting machines will soon give paper receipt: Official - Jan 20, 2012
- Order reserved on Swamy's plea on voting machines (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Election Commission to send EVM technical team to Pakistan - Jan 28, 2011
- Swamy's plea on voting machines disposed of - Jan 17, 2012
- Swamy's plea on voting machines dismissed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Swamy's plea on EVMs disposed of (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- SC to hear plea for providing printout of votes in EVMs - Sep 13, 2012
- EVMs for assembly polls checked in parties' presence: Quraishi - Mar 02, 2011
- Political parties oppose audit of annual accounts - Oct 08, 2010
- Your vote would soon get printed as proof: Poll panel chief - Feb 04, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to poll panel on EVMs (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: allegations, bharat electronics limited, cherrapunjee, chief electoral officer, ecil, election commission, election official, election results, electronic voting machines, electronics corporation, evms, exercice, hand experience, new voting system, paper receipt, political parties, polling stations, shillong, trial test, wettest places on earth