Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel’s 4G services TuesdayApril 9th, 2012 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Communications Minister Kapil Sibal is expected to launch Bharti Airtel’s broadband wireless access (BWA) services based on 4G technology in Kolkata Tuesday.
“We are expecting Communications Minister Kapil Sibal tomorrow,” a senior company executive said.
A successor to the 3G and 2G families, 4G is expected to be five times quicker than 3G services. It would offer services such as high-definition mobile TV and video conferencing.
Airtel has selected Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE to manage its services in Kolkata.
The firm bagged BWA spectrum in four circles — Kolkata, Maharastra, Punjab and Karnataka — for Rs.3,314.36 crore in 2010 along with other players including Reliance Infotel (earlier known as Infotel Broadband Services), Qualcomm, Tikona, Aircel and Augere.
While Infotel became the only player to win a pan-India licence, Qualcomm bagged licences in four circles, Tikona in five circles, Aircel in eight circles and Augere in one circle.
The auction fetched the exchequer over Rs.38,500 crore.
With this launch Airtel will become the first player to launch the 4G service in India. The company said that launch of the service in other circles will happen soon.
The other players are yet to announce plans to roll-out 4G services.
- Bharti Airtel to launch 4G services in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2012
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Airtel launches 4G services in Kolkata, first in India - Apr 10, 2012
- Qualcomm to get BWA spectrum shortly: DoT - Apr 19, 2012
- Sibal launches 4G, admits 3G has 'not successful' (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Bharti Airtel launches 4G services in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- India reaps billions from BWA auction, biggies stay away (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- India's broadband airwaves auction to fetch $8.6 billion (Roundup) - Jun 11, 2010
- Bharti Airtel buys 49 percent of Qualcomm's India business - May 24, 2012
- Broadband auction winners to pay up license fee by June 22 - Jun 12, 2010
- 4G, 3G to grow parallelly in India: Ericsson - Sep 01, 2011
- All 9 telecom companies qualify for 3G spectrum auction - Mar 30, 2010
- Auction of broadband airwaves starts Saturday - May 19, 2010
- Pan-India BWA licence price up at Rs.2,353 crore (Lead) - May 24, 2010
- Nine telecom companies apply for 3G (lead) - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: 2g, 3g services, 4g, aircel, broadband services, broadband wireless access, company executive, crore, five circles, high definition, infotel, kapil sibal, karnataka, kolkata, launch, mobile tv, punjab, qualcomm, telecom equipment maker, video conferencing