Sibal meets telecom operators on 3G issueNovember 30th, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) Communications Minister Kapil Sibal Wednesday met chiefs of leading telecom service providers such as Bharti Airtel, Reliance Communications, Idea Cellular, Tata and Vodafone to discuss the issue of 3G roaming and spectrum pricing, official sources said.
The meeting which saw participation from telecom czars including Sunil Bharti Mittal of Bharti Airtel, Anil Ambani of Reliance Communications, Kumar Mangalam Birla of Idea Cellular, Ishaat Hussain from Tata and Vittorio Colao of Vodafone took place after the operators sent a letter to the prime minister seeking his intervention in the 3G intra-circle roaming (ICR) issue last week.
According to official sources, issues such as 3G roaming and spectrum pricing were discussed in the meeting however no formal assurances were given by the government on anything.
Airtel, along with Vodafone and Idea Cellular, had entered into a roaming agreement to offer 3G services in the circles where they could not win the 3G spectrum.
However, the telecom regulator and the enforcement cell of the telecom department said the agreement was illegal.
The operators last week expressed discontent and sought the prime minister’s intervention in the ICR issue, saying that the government should refund the 3G licence fees if such pacts were not allowed.
- Return 3G license fees if roaming pact illegal: Telecom biggies - Nov 22, 2011
- Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT - Nov 28, 2011
- Airtel, Idea, Vodafone asked to stop 3G roaming service - Dec 23, 2011
- Airtel, Idea, Vodafone asked to stop 3G roaming service (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- TDSAT provides relief to telecom operators till Jan 3 - Dec 24, 2011
- 3G roaming deals issue to affect investor confidence: Airtel - Nov 18, 2011
- Government may allow foreign players to bid alone in 2G auction - Sep 06, 2012
- 3G case: Tribunal's jurisdiction on hearing questioned - Jan 03, 2012
- TDSAT's split verdict on 3G roaming pacts; Telcos to move Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Telecom honchos to meet Sibal - May 02, 2012
- Telecom honchos meet key ministers against TRAI's proposals (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- TDSAT adjourns hearing on 3G roaming till Jan 17 - Jan 09, 2012
- Networks hope to acquire more users, spectrum - Feb 03, 2012
- Re-farming of spectrum will harm incumbents: Assocham - May 19, 2012
- Salient features of Indian telecom sector - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: 3g services, anil ambani, assurances, bharti airtel, birla, czars, discontent, idea cellular, ishaat hussain, kapil sibal, licence fees, mittal, New Delhi, pacts, telecom department, telecom operators, telecom regulator, telecom service providers, vittorio colao, vodafone