Sibal endorses new telecom, IT policiesOctober 20th, 2011 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) The new policies for the telecom, information technology (IT) and electronics sectors would usher in a new phase of growth and add millions of jobs, Communications Minister Kapil Sibal said Thursday.
“The three policies together aim to ensure that information communication technology equipment (ICTE) permeates to all aspects of society, business, governance, finance and other aspects of modern life,” Sibal said while addressing the Economic Editors Conference here.
The National Telecom Policy (NTP), 2011, aims to introduce nation-wide mobile number portability and roaming, one licence across services and service areas and access to broadband.
“We will try to get the cabinet permission this year and start implementing the (telecom) policy from as early as next year,” he said.
The policy on IT targets revenue of $300 million from the industry, creating 10 million additional skilled manpower, providing mandatory and affordable e-government to the common man and forming a regulatory framework for a secured cyber space by 2020.
The national policy on electronics manufacturing targets to achieve, by 2020, a turnover of $400 billion, employment to 28 million people, turnover of $55 billion in chip design and embedded software industry and setting up of 200 electronics manufacturing hubs per annum.
- Cabinet likely to discuss National Telecom Policy Thursday - May 24, 2012
- New telecom policy to make India roaming-free (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- No business can afford to ignore Indian ICT market: Sibal - Feb 28, 2012
- Cabinet to take up IT and electronics policy next week: Sibal - Jul 05, 2012
- National Policy on Electronics aims to employ 28 mn people: Sibal - Oct 03, 2011
- New telecom policy to be unveiled in January - Nov 04, 2011
- New telecom policy seeks to remove roaming charges (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Free roaming, high broadband speeds in new telecom policy - Oct 10, 2011
- Transparency promised in full 'spectrum' of new telecom policy (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Draft National Telecom Policy hints at a progressive policy: KPMG - Nov 18, 2011
- IT policy to increase revenue to $300 billion: Sibal - Oct 07, 2011
- DoT extends deadline for receiving comments on draft NTP - Nov 08, 2011
- Department of IT gets new name - Apr 20, 2012
- Telecom policy may be announced in May: Sibal - Apr 10, 2012
- Clear norms will allow telcos to function more efficiently - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: annum, chip design, common man, cyber space, e government, economic editors, editors conference, icte, information communication technology, kapil sibal, mobile number portability, national telecom policy, new telecom, regulatory framework, service areas, skilled manpower, society business, software industry, technology equipment, telecom information technology