Shuttle Endeavour lands safelyJune 1st, 2011 - 7:59 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, June 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) It was the end of an era when the space shuttle Endeavour made its landing. The trip which lasted 16 days was the last for the space shuttle. In July, the Atlantis will make the last ever trip to space among the many space shuttle fleets that NASA have.
Endeavour landed safely last night with its six astronauts safely on board. Injured congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ husband Mark Kelly was the commander of the shuttle. Several onlookers watched as the shuttle made the landing. Kelly thanked the numerous crew members who worked with the spacecraft over the years that it operated.
After the spacecraft made the landing, the mission control told the crew that, “122 million miles flown during 25 challenging spaceflights. Your landing ends a vibrant legacy for this amazing vehicle that will long be remembered. Welcome home, Endeavour.”
Kelly responded by expressing his sadness that the Endeavour will not be flying again. In five weeks time, the Atlantis will be blown into space and it will mark the end of NASA’s spacecraft program. Atlantis was brought to the launch pad where it will be prepared to launch.
The Endeavor made 25 space flights in its lifetime and covered about 122.8mn miles over the period.
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- Shuttle Endeavor docks at International Space Station - May 18, 2011
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Mark Kelly To Make Space Shuttle Launch Final Announcement On Friday - Feb 04, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords to attend husband's shuttle launch on April 19 - Mar 11, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- Shot US congresswoman Giffords' husband Kelly to lead last Endeavour shuttle mission - Feb 05, 2011
- Shuttle Atlantis makes its last landing - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- Shuttle Atlantis returns home for last time - May 26, 2010
- US Congresswoman's husband to retire from NASA - Jun 23, 2011
- Space shuttle Atlantis makes final landing - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: astronauts, atlantis, congresswoman gabrielle giffords, crew members, endeavor, fleets, gabrielle giffords, launch pad, legacy, lifetime, mark kelly, million miles, nasa, onlookers, sadness, shuttle endeavour lands, space flights, space shuttle endeavour, spacecraft, trip to space