Sexuality among older adults vary with age, genderDecember 19th, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 19 (IANS) Sexuality among older adults - between 57 to 85 years - tended to vary with age and gender, says a new study.
Men were more likely than women to have a partner, more likely to be sexually active with that partner, and tend to have more positive and permissive attitudes toward sex.
Similarly, men were more likely than women to report alcohol use, potential problem drinking. Alcohol use and smoking were also lower among older age groups.
This information has been provided by the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project (NSHAP) study, focusing on social and cultural activity; history of sexual and intimate partnerships, among others, based on data gathered from interviews of 3,005 older adults (aged 57 to 85) between July 2005 and March 2006, said a NSHAP release.
“The NSHAP represents an extraordinary contribution to the study of aging, and published findings from it have already shed new light on critical issues in social gerontology - from abuse to sexuality,” said social scientist Kenneth F. Ferraro, editor of Journal of Gerontology, which published these findings.
- Men's potency crashes when wives bond with male buddies - Aug 09, 2011
- Confiding in spouse over sexual issues eases stress in older men - May 06, 2010
- 'Abused kids face elevated cancer risk as adults' - Jul 18, 2012
- Confiding in spouse about sexual problems makes men happy - May 06, 2010
- Diabetes impairs but does not halt sex among older adults with the disease - Aug 27, 2010
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- Strong link found between victimization experiences, substance abuse - Feb 25, 2011
- Good News: You're never too old for sex! - Jan 28, 2010
- Diabetic women less likely to be sexually satisfied - Jul 26, 2012
- Childhood sexual abuse spurs heart attacks in men - Sep 07, 2012
- Baby boomers unhappiest with their sex lives: Study - Nov 23, 2010
- How social influences affect weight status in young adults - Jan 12, 2011
- Unhealthy lifestyle linked to sexual problems - Jul 07, 2011
- Gambling problems 'more common than drinking problems' - Mar 25, 2011
- Men too can fake orgasms: Study - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: activity history, age groups, aging project, attitudes, critical issues, drinking alcohol, intimate partnerships, journal of gerontology, kenneth f ferraro, life health, older adults, sexuality, social gerontology, social scientist, study men