Sekhar Basu new BARC chiefJune 18th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 18 (IANS) A nuclear submarine propulsion and nuclear reprocessing and waste management expert, Sekhar Basu will be the new director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre here, an official said Monday.
Basu, 59, is currently the chief executive officer of the Nuclear Recycling Board and will assume his new charge Tuesday.
An alumnus of the Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute, Mumbai, he started his career with BARC in 1974.
Basu has functioned as project director of the Plutonium Recycling Project at Kalpakkam, which led to the construction of India’s first indigenous pressurised water reactor, fuelled by enriched uranium.
Later, he was involved in commissioning a land-based nuclear submarine propulsion plant in Kalpakkam.
Basu has also been working in the field of nuclear recycling and built nuclear reprocessing and waste management plants at Tarapur, Mumbai and Kalpakkam.
Basu succeeds R.K. Sinha who was elevated to the post of chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission and secretary, atomic energy, last month.
- BARC offers technology to turn sewage into fertiliser - Jul 28, 2012
- PM to launch fuel reprocessing plant - Jan 05, 2011
- Submarine reactor was built from land-based prototype (With Image) - Aug 02, 2009
- 86 percent work on Kalpakkam N-plant complete: Official - Apr 30, 2012
- Nuclear brass allay fears over Jaitapur plant - Jan 07, 2011
- Kudankulam to start full-load power generation by December - Sep 03, 2012
- India committed to fast breeder reactor programme - Oct 10, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan condoles passing away of Homi Nusserwanji Sethna - Sep 07, 2010
- Nuclear technology will aid people, farms and factories: BARC director (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Manmohan Singh dedicates Tarapur reprocessing plant to nation - Jan 07, 2011
- India's nuclear sub doesn't have working reactor yet - Aug 13, 2009
- PM unveils new Power Reactor Reprocessing Plant - Jan 07, 2011
- IAEA chief Yukiya Amano to visit Mumbai, Kalpakkam - Jan 14, 2011
- New AEC chairman Sinha expert on n-reactor technology (Profile) - Apr 30, 2012
- US nuclear safety experts to visit India - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: alumnus, atomic energy commission, atomic research centre, barc, bhabha atomic research centre, chief executive officer, kalpakkam, management expert, plants, pressurised water reactor, project director, propulsion plant, r k sinha, recycling board, recycling project, submarine propulsion, tarapur, uranium, victoria jubilee, waste management