Scientists say that “Toads ‘could be used to predict earthquakes’”December 2nd, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Madrid, Dec 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A group of scientists have concluded that toads could be good warning system for earthquakes. The scientists say certain species of the animal have the capacity to sense changes in the soil which could eventually mean an earthquake is eminent.
Researcher from the United Kingdom studied previous earthquakes and the actions of the toads just before the quake struck. One of the cases that they studied was the devastating quake that struck the Italian town of L’Aquila. Just days before the quake, several colonies of toads were seen leaving ponds in the area.
The scientists found that the animals were able to sense some chemicals in the ground which accurately predicts earthquake. Scientists say studying the creatures will help in the early prediction of earthquake which will save lives.
NASA’s Friedemann Freund, who was the leader of the research, told BBC that, “Positive airborne ions are known in the medical community to cause headaches and nausea in humans and to increase the level of serotonin, a stress hormone, in the blood of animals.”
The study which was conducted by researchers from NASA and Open University, UK was published in the journal Environmental Research and Public Health.
- Amarnath yatra pilgrims could be sensors for earthquakes (Science Feature) - Jun 29, 2012
- Toads can sense impending natural disasters - Apr 01, 2010
- Laser tool maps quake-related devastation in 3D - Feb 12, 2012
- Kashmir must ban construction in marshes, high slopes: Quake expert - Dec 15, 2011
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Toad's brain too contain potent germ-fighters - Apr 14, 2011
- Wanna 'spice' up your sex life? Add these natural enhancers in diet - Mar 28, 2011
- Earthquake moved California City - Calexico by 31 inches - Jun 28, 2010
- 7.2 Magnitude Earthquake Moved California City By 31 Inches - Jun 28, 2010
- Has Atlantis City been found buried underneath mud flats in Spain? - Mar 14, 2011
- Genes linked to migraine discovered - Jun 13, 2011
- Protein pores help us sense hot temperatures - Mar 05, 2012
- California City Moved By 31 Inches Due To Earthquake - Jun 28, 2010
- Finding life on Mars could get easier with new tool - Feb 09, 2011
- Tourism hit in Italian region struck by quake - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: aquila, chemicals, colonies, earthquake, earthquakes, headaches and nausea, ions, italian town, medical community, nasa, open university uk, ponds, public health, quake, researcher, scientists, sense changes, stress hormone, toads, warning system