Scientists racing against time to deliver swine flu testMay 2nd, 2009 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 2 (IANS) A team of genetic experts are racing against time to produce the world’s first DNA test for the Mexican strain of swine flu that has led to scores of deaths and global panic.
Primer Design, a University of Southampton company specializes in producing high-tech DNA detection kits. The technology detects results faster and more accurately than traditional diagnosis techniques.
Staff at the Primer Design lab realized they were ideally positioned to create the first DNA swine flu test when the US Centre for Disease Control published the genetic data for the killer virus this week.
Coordinator of the swine flu DNA project, Rob Powell said, “with the release of the unique genetic code for this dangerous virus strain we’re able to develop the ultimate diagnosis tool within the next few days.”
“At Primer Design we’re able to produce synthetic DNA that matches the virus exactly, without ever having to come into contact with the flu itself. The test can identify the presence of swine flu within two hours.”
The high-tech production methods of the kits mean that the Southampton team could very quickly produce enough test kits for hospitals across Europe if needed. The kits will be fully developed and ready to go within two weeks, said a University of Southampton release.
- Effective way found to produce anti-flu vaccines - Jul 10, 2010
- SMART biochip can speedily detect flu virus - Jun 11, 2012
- Once-in-a-lifetime flu jab that fights off all strains to be available 'within 5yrs' - Nov 16, 2010
- Now, computer algorithms to help develop flu vaccines - Jul 10, 2010
- Nasal spray flu vaccine one step closer - Feb 18, 2011
- One-time jab to protect against all flu strains - Nov 16, 2010
- Weakened flu virus to make more effective vaccine - Jun 23, 2010
- Now, GM chickens that don't spread bird flu - Jan 14, 2011
- Human, bird flu virus interaction can create more virulent strains - Feb 23, 2010
- Universal influenza vaccine 'on the anvil' - Dec 07, 2010
- Single shot vaccine for all flu types in offing - Jul 16, 2010
- 'Dip Chip' warns of toxicity in real time - May 15, 2012
- H1N1 pandemic flu strain 'key to universal vaccine' - Jan 11, 2011
- Scientists unveil new accurate diagnostic test for swine flu - Jun 10, 2009
- New technology could serve as a future cancer predisposition test - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: dangerous virus, diagnosis techniques, diagnosis tool, dna detection, dna project, dna test, flu, flu test, genetic code, genetic data, global panic, killer virus, primer design, racing against time, swine flu, synthetic dna, test kits, traditional diagnosis, university of southampton, virus strain