Scientists find way to erase traumatic memoriesNovember 3rd, 2010 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 3 (IANS) A new technique promises to delete painful memories permanently, possibly opening the way for more effective treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder, scientists say.
A team at Johns Hopkins University in the US conducted tests on mice and removed a protein from the region of the brain responsible for recalling fear.
The mice were then unable to recall the fear they experienced when a loud sound was played prior to the experiment, according to the journal Science Express.
The method is similar to that imagined in the film “Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind”, where Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet decide to erase each other from their memories after a difficult break-up, reports the Daily Mail.
Lead researcher Richard L. Huganir said: “When a traumatic event occurs, it creates a fearful memory that can last a lifetime and have a debilitating effect on a person’s life.”
“Our finding describing these molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in that process raises the possibility of manipulating those mechanisms with drugs,” he said.
Behavioural therapy has been shown to ease the depth of the emotional response to traumatic memories, but not in completely removing the memory itself, making relapses common.
Huganir and post-doctoral fellow Roger Clem focussed on the nerve circuits in the amygdala, the part of the brain known to underlie so-called fear conditioning in people and animals.
Experimenting on mice, they observed that certain cells in the amygdala region conducted more current after the mice were exposed to a loud, sudden tone.
They found temporary increases in the amount of particular proteins - the calcium-permeable AMPARs - within a few hours of fear conditioning that peaked at 24 hours and disappeared 48 hours later.
These particular proteins are uniquely unstable and can be removed from nerve cells, scientists said.
- Soon, it would be possible to 'delete painful memories'! - Nov 03, 2010
- Researchers Discover Technique To Erase Disturbing Memory - Nov 02, 2010
- Researchers discover how to erase memory - Nov 02, 2010
- Researchers Come Up With An Ingenious Plan To Erase Memory - Nov 02, 2010
- Researchers Discover How To Erase Memory - Nov 02, 2010
- A pill to erase painful memories in offing - Nov 23, 2010
- Scientists isolate protein that sculpts memory - Sep 29, 2011
- Soon, a pill to wipe out painful memories! - Nov 23, 2010
- Scientists find structures that help keep memories precise - May 04, 2011
- Map of fear memory formation in human brain extended - Jan 28, 2010
- Can traumatic memories be erased? - Apr 28, 2011
- Drug cuts fear caused by previous traumatic experiences in mice - Jan 13, 2011
- Heavy drinking negates recovery from trauma - Sep 03, 2012
- Novel memory-enhancing mechanism in brain discovered - Dec 15, 2010
- Become a child again to erase bad memories forever - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: amygdala, cellular mechanisms, daily mail, emotional response, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, jim carrey, johns hopkins university, journal science, loud sound, nerve cells, painful memories, post doctoral fellow, post traumatic stress, post traumatic stress disorder, science express, sunshine of the spotless mind, traumatic event, traumatic memories, traumatic stress disorder, treatment of post traumatic stress disorder