Scientific Studies Show That An Asteroid Could Hit Earth In 2182July 31st, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
July 31, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): An asteroid has been discovered to be hurtling towards earth. Spanish researchers have however, assured us that the asteroid may not really have an impact with the earth. There is just a one in thousand chance of it hitting the earth that too in 2182.
The asteroid recognized by its number (101955) 1999 RQ36 does not have too much chances of crashing into the earth but surprisingly over 50% of the probability of it doing so is in the year 2182., said María Eugenia Sansaturio who is a researcher at the University of de Valladolid. Details of the study have been published in the journal Icarus. Sansaturio is a co author of the study report.
The asteroid had been discovered more than ten years ago, in 1999 and had been listed as PHA or potentially hazardous asteroid. It has been listed among the 1,140 PHAs currently included in NASA’s records. The term is applicable to (101955) 1999 RQ36 as it has the potential to come very close to the earth in the course of its revolution.
According to the reports published in the Daily Mail, the asteroid is estimated to measure almost 1800 feet across. It can result in massive destruction and even total extinction of mankind if it does indeed crash into the earth.
The scientists believe that it may be possible to divert the giant asteroid a little from its pre destined path but such endeavors will not be effective unless done a 100 years before it is likely to hit our planet. However, the impact would have been irreversible if it had remained undetected until 2080.
One of the best methods for deviating an asteroid is to detonate a nuclear warhead on it. David Dearborn of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory also thinks that it is the best way to get rid of asteroids that pose dangers and give us very little warning time.
- Giant Asteroid May Hit Earth In 2182 - Jul 31, 2010
- Asteroid Could Hit Earth in 2182, Destroying All Life - Jul 28, 2010
- Massive asteroid could hit Earth in 2182 - Jul 29, 2010
- 1.5 km wide asteroid on collision course with Earth in 50 years - Jul 30, 2010
- Asteroid could hit the Earth in 2182 - Jul 28, 2010
- NASA Contemplating On Sending A Probe Out To The Asteroid - Aug 11, 2010
- NASA Plans Probe On Earth Bound Asteroid - Aug 11, 2010
- NASA could land probe on asteroid hurtling towards Earth - Aug 10, 2010
- NASA plans to visit asteroid predicted to hit Earth - Aug 07, 2010
- New force can propel asteroids onto earth's path - Jun 04, 2012
- NASA proposes mission to snatch a piece from 'time capsule' asteroid - Mar 12, 2010
- Earth may be hit by an asteroid in 160 years time - Feb 10, 2009
- What if an asteroid crashes near you? - Nov 07, 2010
- Amateur astronomers observe asteroids as they impact Jupiter - Sep 10, 2010
- Asteriod caused giant hole on Jupiter - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: 100 years, asteroids, co author, daily mail, david dearborn, extinction of mankind, lawrence livermore national, lawrence livermore national laboratory, livermore national laboratory, maría eugenia, massive destruction, men at work, nasa, nuclear warhead, pen men, pha, phas, spanish researchers, valladolid, who is a researcher