Science Express’ first phase journey endsMay 31st, 2009 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) The first phase journey of arguably the world’s largest mobile science and technology museum concluded Saturday at the capital’s Safdurjung railway station after a 182-day-long trip covering 51 cities of the country.
The second phase will kick off from Ahmedabad August 12.
Science Express, a train that was started on November 30, 2008, features over 300 large format science-related visuals, 150 video clips explaining different scientific phenomena and multimedia exhibits. The 16-coach train has thus far travelled a distance of 17,000 km.
“The main idea behind Science Express is to promote the importance of science amongst youth. We wanted the students of schools across India to be a part of a scientific environment,” said Dilip Mirzhapure, the project coordinator.
The fully air-conditioned museum-cum-exhibition is a joint initiative of the ministry of science and technology, the Vikram Sarabhai Community Science Centre, Germany based Max-Planck-Gesellschaft company and Indian Railways.
“We have had over 12.5 lakh (1,250,000) visitors and we look forward to another successful journey of Science Express that begins on August 12 from Ahmedabad. This phase will be about eight months long,” added Mirzhapure.
The train carried over 50 science communicators from the Sarabhai centre and other project coordinators.
“It was a lifetime experience on the train and I loved educating the curious students who came to visit the train. Science communication is not easy but it was a learning experience,” said Shraddha Gargatti, an engineer by training, who was part of the team aboard the Science Express.
- Science exhibition on wheels reaches Delhi - Apr 06, 2010
- A train to climate change warms Bangalore students - Dec 11, 2009
- The Taj is a hit with foreign athletes - Oct 17, 2010
- Launch of Red Ribbon Express' third phase Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Western Railway cuts running time of 100 trains - Jun 28, 2012
- Commonwealth Express arrives in Bangalore - Sep 02, 2010
- Commonwealth Express arrives in West Midnapore - Jul 28, 2010
- Konkan Railway enters 22nd year of operation - Oct 16, 2011
- Commonwealth Express now in Gujarat - Sep 14, 2010
- Railways to switch to five digit numbers for trains - Dec 19, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Red Ribbon Express: On track to good health - Jul 15, 2010
- Tripura to build science village - Sep 10, 2012
- Two thrown out of train, one dies - May 14, 2012
- PM to inaugurate Indian Science Congress Jan 3 - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, coach train, community science, curious students, indian railways, lifetime experience, long trip, max planck, max planck gesellschaft, project coordinator, project coordinators, railway station, science and technology museum, science centre, science communication, science communicators, science express, second phase, train science, vikram sarabhai