Scaly skin linked with depressionAugust 23rd, 2010 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 23 (IANS) People suffering from a dry, scaly skin seem to have an increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicidal feelings.
The skin condition, known as psoriasis, is caused by a defect in the immune system that produces skin cells in superabundance.
“Psoriasis has long been recognised to be associated with potentially adverse effects on mental health,” wrote study authors from the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, US, according to the journal Archives of Dermatology.
“In the 1960s, a popular ad campaign labelled the emotional burden of this skin disease as the ‘heartbreak of psoriasis.’ However, there have been relatively few studies evaluating psychological outcomes in patients with psoriasis,” they added.
University of Pennsylvania researchers studied data from electronic medical records in the UK from 1987 to 2002, said its release.
The analyses included 146,042 patients with mild psoriasis, 3,956 patients with severe psoriasis and 766,950 patients without psoriasis.
Of patients with mild or severe psoriasis, 25.9 per 1,000 individuals per year were diagnosed with depression, 20.9 per 1,000 per year with anxiety and 0.9 per 1,000 per year with suicidal tendencies.
- Skin condition linked to depression, anxiety and suicidal feelings - Aug 17, 2010
- Beer may increase psoriasis in women - Aug 18, 2010
- Acne is more than a nuisance for some adolescents - Mar 16, 2011
- Severe psoriasis associated with major adverse cardiac events - Apr 05, 2011
- Using tanning beds to 'self-treat' skin eruptions can be deadly - Mar 02, 2011
- Four new psoriasis 'hotspots' identified - Oct 19, 2010
- Drinking beer 'can lead to psoriasis in women' - Aug 17, 2010
- Features of metabolic syndrome prevalent in people with psoriasis - Dec 21, 2010
- Obese teens 'at increased risk of psoriatic arthritis' - Jul 20, 2010
- Psoriasis patients less likely to react to disgusted faces - Aug 28, 2009
- Love to scratch your back? Here's why - Jan 29, 2012
- Kim Kardashian suffers from psoriasis - Jul 25, 2011
- Study: Non-light beer ups the risk of psoriasis in women by 72% - Aug 22, 2010
- Psoriasis patients at increased heart disease, diabetes risk - Mar 08, 2009
- Violence causes over 25 percent of teen deaths in Brazil - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,