Saudi Arabia unveils world’s largest clockAugust 3rd, 2010 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
Riyadh, Aug 2 (DPA) Saudi Arabia is ready to begin operating the world’s largest four-faced clock, in Makkah, Islam’s holiest city, Saudi state news agency reported Monday.
The tower, designed by German and Swiss engineers, will be over 600 metres high, six times the height of London’s Big Ben.
The front portion of the clock is decorated with glass mosaic, and is made of carbon fibre, a highly-resilient material used in aerospace and other technologies.
The clock tower is part of Abraj al-Bait hotel and residential complex, built by the Saudi Bin Laden construction group.
The two main faces of the clock are 43 metres squared each, with the other two faces measuring 43 by 33 metres.
Visitors will be able to stand in a terrace beneath the clock to take in views of the city.
The clock will officially start running in mid-August to mark the first day of Ramadan, a month of fasting from sunrise to sunset for Muslims around the world.
- Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Over 23,000 Indians arrive in Saudi Arabia for Haj - Oct 05, 2011
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- 16 Indian Haj pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia - Oct 14, 2011
- 19 Indian Haj pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia - Oct 15, 2011
- 13 Indian Haj pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia - Oct 12, 2011
- Saudi crown prince,78, dies in Geneva (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- India rejects OIC reference on Kashmir - Aug 17, 2012
- Doomsday Clock ticks one minute closer to midnight - Jan 11, 2012
- Women IAF pilots shine in Sikkim relief - Sep 24, 2011
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: abraj al bait, aerospace, aug 2, big ben, carbon fibre, clock tower, construction group, dpa, glass mosaic, islam, makkah, muslims, news agency, ramadan, resilient material, saudi arabia, six times, state news, sunrise to sunset, two faces