Samsung’s tablet looks to take on iPadNovember 2nd, 2010 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 2 (IANS) Samsung and Google have launched their version of a tablet computer designed to take on Apple’s iPad, the market leader.
Samsung’s Galaxy Tab has a seven-inch touchscreen, compared to iPad’s 9.7 inches, and runs on Google’s Android software.
“You really can put this into a jacket pocket,” said a Samsung spokesman.
Users can download thousands of apps from Google’s online store, together with their contacts and diary from Google’s online services, reports the Daily Mail.
The new tablet is an advance on the technology included in Samsung’s popular Galaxy S smartphone. The company is also looking at the possibility of a larger 10-inch screen tablet.
Last month, Apple boss Steve Jobs launched an attack on rival tablet computers like Samsung’s Galaxy Tab.
Jobs said: “We think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA - Dead on Arrival. Their manufacturers will learn the painful lesson that their tablets are too small, and increase the size next year, thereby abandoning both customers and developers who jumped on the 7-inch bandwagon with an orphan product.”
Samsung has also developed several of its own apps for the Tab, including a newsreader and a film download service.
Swype software too is included, which allows text to be entered by swiping your finger over a keypad rather than hitting individual keys.
Although several other firms have launched rival gadgets running on Google software in recent weeks, many experts believe Samsung’s is the first to rival the iPad.
“Apple is well ahead in the market but the Samsung Tab is the first real competitor it has seen,” said Anthony Cox, of industry analyst Juniper Research.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 to go on sale from 1st of March - Feb 29, 2012
- After Apple, Dell and Samsung pose challenges to BlackBerry - Nov 12, 2010
- Samsung unveils first tablet computer Galaxy Tab - Sep 04, 2010
- Samsung unveils Galaxy to challenge Apple's iPad - Sep 03, 2010
- Apple awarded $1 bn in patent fight with Samsung - Aug 25, 2012
- At 7 Inch Samsung Galaxy Tab Stands Tall To Compete With Apple iPad - Sep 07, 2010
- HTC brings its tablet, HTC Flyer to India (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Acer unveils dual-screen laptop - Nov 25, 2010
- HP Unveils TouchPad To Take On Rival Tablets - Feb 10, 2011
- Judge rules that Apple's iPad is cooler than Samsung's Galaxy tablet - Jul 11, 2012
- Samsung did not copy 'cool' Apple iPad: Court - Jul 10, 2012
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Challenges The iPad - Sep 07, 2010
- New iPad tops tablet ratings - Apr 03, 2012
- World's leading electronics fair opens in Berlin - Sep 04, 2011
- Samsung's launches iPad rival Tab - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: android, anthony cox, apps, bandwagon, competitor, daily mail, dead on arrival, galaxy, google, industry analyst, market leader, nov 2, orphan product, s online store, samsung, seven inch, spokesman, steve jobs, tablet computer, tablet computers