Samsung launches high end Omnia phone in IndiaSeptember 24th, 2008 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Just when Apple’s iPhone was dominating the Indian market in the high end mobile segment, Samsung mobile launched its future ready 3.5G (third generation and beyond) super phone, Omnia SGH-i900 here Wednesday. “Omnia is for all consumers who want the ultimate experience from the device. It is for buyers who don’t want to make compromises on their desires,” Sunil Dutt, country head, Samsung telecom told IANS.
On being asked how different is the new phone from Apple’s iPhone that was introduced in the Indian markets last month, Dutt said: “I don’t want to compare Omnia with iPhone at all. There is no device in this world that can be compared with Omnia today.”
The phone is available in an aluminium casing and weighs a mere 120 grams.
It supports a 3.2 inch touch screen with a resolution of 16 million TFT colours and a five megapixel CMOS camera with features like auto focus, face detection, auto-panorama shot and smile detection.
Omnia operates on a Windows 6.1 compatible platform and is available with eight GB and 16 GB internal memory versions that can be expanded up to 16 GB each.
The battery support for the same is 10 hours at a stretch with a 1440mAh cell. The gadget is priced at Rs.37,999 and Rs.39,999 for 8 GB and 16 GB, respectively.
Dutt also shared the mobile market channel coverage growth of the country.
“Samsung mobile occupies about 60 percent of the total mobile channel coverage in the country with around 40 models ranging from Rs.1,500 to Rs.40,000. We have also met all our objectives during the fiscal year as it has been very good and we are now aiming to touch the 85 percent mark by the year-end,” Dutt said.
The phone was unveiled by beauty queen-turned-actress Lara Dutta who chose to be tight-lipped at the event.
Omnia will be available in the Indian market by next week.
- Applications key as tablets flood Indian market - Aug 25, 2011
- Apple iPad available for Rs.27,900 in India - Jan 28, 2011
- Apple lawyer claims that Samsung copied iPhone technology - Aug 01, 2012
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in France, Italy - Oct 05, 2011
- iPhone 4s to go on sale in China next week - Jan 06, 2012
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in Japan, Australia - Oct 17, 2011
- iPhone 4S launched in India starting Rs.44,500 - Nov 25, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple gets setback in patent war - Dec 10, 2011
- Apple working on smaller, cheaper iPhone - Feb 14, 2011
- China's defence ministry releases iPhone app - Aug 09, 2011
- Motorola XOOM tablet launched in India - Jun 28, 2011
- iPhone 4S hits Indian stores, starts at Rs.44,500 (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Beijing firm to launch CDMA iPhone 4S - Jan 31, 2012