Russia’s ‘Silicon Valley’ to cost $4 bnDecember 26th, 2010 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The construction of Skolkovo research hub near Moscow, dubbed Russia’s answer to Silicon Valley in the US, could cost up to 120 billion rubles (nearly $4 billion), an official said Saturday.The project is expected to complete by 2015, Viktor Maslakov, the city manager of the Skolkovo fund, said. The costs will be shared by the state and private investors.
Russian billionaire Viktor Vekselberg in charge of the project said in October that Russia would allocate 85 billion rubles (about $2.8 billion) from the federal budget for the Skolkovo construction between 2011 and 2013.
The Skolkovo fund’s construction council has chosen French and Dutch architectural companies as finalists to develop the best building concept. The winner will be announced by the end of December.
Skolkovo is being built from scratch just 20 km west of Moscow. The hub will focus on five research areas: energy, information technologies, communication, biomedical research and nuclear technologies.
- MIT to set up institute in Russia - Jun 19, 2011
- Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projects - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia needs defence research body: NATO envoy - Nov 17, 2011
- Russia to spend $44 bn on Arctic projects - Apr 06, 2012
- Schwarzenegger, Medvedev exchange tweets - Oct 11, 2010
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia to resume building diesel submarines - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia to build world's most powerful laser station - Feb 10, 2012
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Medvedev accepts Schwarzenegger invite for skiing - Jan 04, 2011
- Chinese firm to invest $3 bn in Russian resorts - Jun 06, 2012
- Medvedev pledges modernisation will continue - Nov 13, 2011
- Anti-crisis measures cost Russia about $100 bn : Putin - Jan 18, 2012
- Russian space firm accused of $17 mn fraud - Jul 10, 2012
- PayPal to launch business in Russia - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: architectural companies, billionaire, biomedical research, bn, construction council, energy information, federal budget, information technologies, kvb, moscow, nuclear technologies, private investors, research areas, research hub, ria novosti, rubles, scratch, silicon valley, technologies communication, viktor vekselberg