Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for IndiaFebruary 5th, 2011 - 4:13 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s MiG corporation Friday carried out the first test fight of a MiG-29 fighter modernized under a contract with the Indian Air Force (IAF).”On Feb 4, a MiG-29UPG fighter carried out its first test flight. The flight lasted for an hour and was flawless,” MiG said in a statement.
The IAF has awarded the MiG corporation a $900 million contract to upgrade all of its 69 operational MiG-29s.
These upgrades include a new avionics kit, with the N-109 radar being replaced by a Phazatron Zhuk-M radar.
The aircraft is also being equipped to enhance beyond-visual-range combat ability and for air-to-air refueling to increase flying time.
In 2007, Russia also gave India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) a license to manufacture 120 RD-33 series three turbojet engines for the upgrade.
The first six aircraft are being upgraded in Russia while the remaining 63 will be refitted at the HAL facility in India.
- Russia's MiG starts new batch of fighters for Indian Navy - Aug 04, 2011
- Russia to modernise 60 MiG-31 interceptors by 2020 - Jan 02, 2012
- Russia signs $35 mn missile deal with Malaysia - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia to showcase its best combat aircraft in Dubai - Nov 12, 2011
- MiG-29 crashes in Siberia - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight - Aug 18, 2011
- Russia to deliver MiG-29 engines to India - Aug 21, 2009
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Russian fighter jet crashes into mountain range, killing two - Sep 06, 2011
- 35 Russian companies at Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011