Russia shortlists 11 for Mars mission simulationMarch 2nd, 2010 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s Institute of Medical and Biological Problems has shortlisted 11 volunteers to take part in a 520-day simulation of an expedition to Mars, a spokesman said.
The 11 candidates will complete basic spaceflight training and in spring, six of them will be chosen to take part in the experiment, which will simulate all aspects of a journey to the red planet, with a 250-day outward trip, a 30-day stay on its surface, and a 240-day return flight.
The basic requirements for volunteers were that they be aged 25-50 years, have a higher education, and speak Russian and English.
During nearly two years of isolation, the crew members will experience many of the conditions likely to be encountered by astronauts on a real space flight, except for radiation and weightlessness.
The mission simulation is scheduled to begin in late April.
The shortlist includes five Russian engineers: 44-year-old Boris Yegorov, 30-year-old Andrei Zhirnov, 32-year-old Alexander Sukhov, 37-year-old Mikhail Sidelnikov and 38-year-old Alexei Sitev. Two Russian doctors, surgeon Sukhrob Kamolov, 32, and general practitioner Alexander Smolevsky, 33, were also chosen.
The foreign candidates are 34-year-old Archanmael Gaillard from France, Belgian Jerome Clevers, 30, Italian Diego Urbina, 27, and 27-year-old Wang Yue from China.
The institute has already held a 105-day experiment to simulate a flight to Mars, which ended last July. Six people - four Russians and two Europeans - spent over three months in a lab that simulated life on board a spaceship.
- Simulated manned flight to Mars completed - Nov 04, 2011
- Mars astronauts may be risking DNA damage - Apr 23, 2012
- Simulated Mars mission crew returns to 'Earth' - Nov 04, 2011
- Man is now ready to go to Mars - Jan 22, 2011
- Witness Mars500 crew landing on Red planet on Feb 14 - Jan 28, 2011
- Mars probe mission 'reaches' Red Planet - Feb 12, 2011
- World should unite to send manned flight to Mars: Cosmonaut - Apr 12, 2011
- Russia plans to offer Capello two-year deal - Jul 07, 2012
- Lokomotiv Moscow release Stanislav Ivanov - Jul 11, 2012
- Mostovoi ready to assist Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Menchov can vanquish Tour nightmare at Olympics: Coach - Jul 22, 2012
- Two Russians detained for brawl on plane - Feb 23, 2012
- Russia makes list of 'undesirable' US officials - Oct 23, 2011
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
- Russia needs fresh blood, says Hiddink - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: astronauts, biological problems, clevers, crew members, gaillard, general practitioner, mars mission, mission simulation, red planet, return flight, ria novosti russia, russian doctors, russian engineers, shortlist, skb, space flight, spaceship, urbina, weightlessness, yue